e l e v e n

The trees lay in rich varying colours of dark and light greens

The trees lay in rich varying colours of dark and light greens. They were so tall and wide that barely any light reached the ground. Flowers and fruits lay perched on the plants and trees in every colour of the rainbow and beyond it.

"Come on let's go. We must reach before the sun sets." said Nana.

She started to walk forward, leading our small group with Hailey, Stella and Melissa right behind her.

"C'mon El, let's go before we loose them."

Jason took my hand in his, urging me forward. The tattoo hidden on my neck grew warm at the action.

"Right..um.."

I looked at Aiden only to see him staring sharply at Jason's hand in mine. He snapped his eyes up when he saw me looking.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Let's go."

The tattoo grew hot. I winced and rubbed the spot with my fingertips.

"Hey Jase."

Jason stopped saying whatever he was going on about and looked at me. I pulled the cloak closer to my body, slowing my pace.

"Would you mind walking with them?" I said, jerking my head towards Melissa, Hailey and Stella. Jason frowned.

"Am I boring you?" He asked, a strange expression crossing his features. He looked like he was trying hard to fight back a smile?

"No, no it's not that. I..I just want a few minutes to myself. I'll join you guys in a bit." I said. I gave him a reassuring smile and caste a subtle glance at Aiden whose eyes were fixed on my head.

Jason shrugged and glanced at Aiden. With a strange smile, he joined the rest of them throwing an arm around Melissa, who jumped in surprise. I slowed my steps, the heat on my neck reducing with my pace.

Aiden promptly brushed past me. I swear I even saw him smile in triumph as he passed. I growled lowly and counted upto ten. I let out a breath, walking faster to fall into place with the dork.

I saw his lips curl up in the slightest from the corner of my eye. The rest of his face remained neutral. His bright blue eyes remained cautious and darted around every few minutes, occassionaly falling on me.

"Why are you walking with me?" Aiden blurted out atlast.

I almost smiled, managing to keep my face neutral with great difficulty. I bit my lower lip and shrugged.

"Am I not allowed to? I can call back Jase if you don't want me walking with you. Hey Jas-"

"You can walk with me. I don't have any problem." He said. A little too quickly. I smiled and bumped our hips.

"Drop the facade Aid. You know you like me walking with you rather than with him." I said in a singsong voice.

Aiden grumbled incoherent words and rolled his eyes.

"I rather have you walking with me than with that...that ogre." He said.

This time, it was my turn to roll my eyes. Aiden shuffled closer, his hand brushing against mine. My traitorous heart fluttered at the action.

"Did anyone see the.." Aiden trailed away motioning his hand to his neck where our markings presumably lay.

"No, I cover it with my hair. Makeup doesn't seem to do the trick." I moved my thick braid which Melissa had plaited with ribbons earlier to show him. He stared at the little crown with his initial under it for a few seconds before nodding.

"What about you?"

I was to his left and the tattoos were on the right side, so I couldn't see the crown with my initial underneath.

"I cover it up with a spell." Aiden said. He stopped and turned to give me a look at his neck which was free of any ink.

We walked in silence. The trees were slimming down. We must be nearing the village. I played with the amulet as daylight became clearer and brighter. The white fluffy clouds were becoming more and more visible.

"Why are you so persistent on hiding our bond from the others?" I asked after a while.

"We've been through this Ellie. You know why." Aiden said. No emotion seeped through his voice.

I gave him a look but said nothing. All of a sudden I felt angry at him. Angry at myself.

"If you didn't want this happening, you shouldn't have come to find me. You should have said something to Amare. Told her you didn't want trouble." I said. My voice was frosty.

Aiden caught hold of my hand and pulled us into a halt. He opened his mouth to say something. At the same time, Hailey's voice rang out loud and clear.

"We are entering the village. Be on guard. Stay with the group. Don't wander."

I pulled my hand out of his grip and walked away. I heard him sigh, exasperated. Stella smiled as I went to stand next to her. We were now standing on the edge of the forest.

My breath caught in my throat as I stared at the busy atmosphere before me. I stayed like that for a few minutes before a wave of forgotten memories hit me right on the face.