f o r t y f i v e

The nurses quickly changed her bandages and reapplied the medicine

The nurses quickly changed her bandages and reapplied the medicine. One of them gave her a spoonful of tonic that Elina looked at slightly uncomfortable. The nurse who held out the tonic to her lips faltered and then straightened up to pour the medicine into her own mouth.

"It is completely safe, Your Highness." She said. "I'm sorry its come to this. You don't deserve any of this suffering."

"Oh no! I didn't mean it that- I'm sorry. I am just a little icky about syrups." Elina told her quickly. But she couldn't help but be glad about the gesture on the inside and she hated herself for it.

The nurses left her alone once they were done. Elina sighed into her pillow. The medicine made her drowsy. She figured it was probably to allow her body to heal faster. She then wondered how she should tell Aiden about the poison in her body. He already blamed himself enough as it is but Hailey was right about him being the only one who could possibly help her now. Even though she didn't really know how. Her eyelids grew heavier and she was almost asleep when the door opened yet again. She heard the soft footfalls and opened her eyes to see the familiar face of Aiden.

"Hey, you're back soon." She mumbled drowsily.

"There wasn't much to discuss. My brother said it would probably be for the best if I stayed here with you until you heal. So I won't be going back to Avrael."

"That's nice." Elina hummed.

"-beautiful." She heard him mumble incoherently and felt his fingertips on her cheeks. He barely touched her but she felt it. The prickly burning sensation that made her recoil from his touch. Her eyes shot open, all thoughts of sleep forgotten.

Aiden snatched his hand back instantly as if remembering something. His lips twisted into an easy smile. "What's wrong?" He asked.

Elina forced herself to breathe evenly. She swallowed and calmed her frantic mind. She smiled at him and shook her head. "The medicine is still fresh and hurts when I move too quickly." The lie passed through her lips easily.