vii. a cipher

••••

••••

Finley was one of the first people to watch Archie's red circle video. That video also was the reason for Sweet Pea inviting her to breakfast before school starts. "So Finley", he said leaning forward on his elbows. She looked up from the menu to meet eyes with Sweet Pea. "Did you see that video", he asked? She waited to respond. "Yeah what about it", she asked nervously? "This guy cant be serious right", he asked? Finley actually could believe Archie would do something like this. "At least he's stepping up against a killer", Finley shrugged. "Hey that guy is doing the Southside a favor, has he killed one Southsider yet", Sweet Pea asked? Finley scoffed. "A favor, so killing people is a favor to you", Finley asked? "It's not really what I meant", he said. "I'm from the Northside, do you want the black hood to come after me", Finley asked just trying to push his buttons now? "Oh I'd have a fit if something happened to you, your the only Northsider that doesn't treat us like scum", Sweet Pea said. "You'd have a fit huh, you like me", Finley teased him. His face turned almost red and Finley liked having this effect on him. She leaned over the table closer to Sweet Pea. "You like me, you want to protect me, you want to kiss me", she teased. "You wish", he teased back. She then leaned forward and left a kiss on his cheek. She then noticed the lipstick left on his face but Finley being the girl she was didn't say anything. "So just leave this all alone Sweet Pea, it'll probably die down anyway", she said.

~

Finley walked beside Kevin as they walked down the hall to get to Betty who was waiting for them. Betty sat with her hands folding a distraught look on her face. "Betty, okay, so telling my dad about me cruising the woods not cool", Kevin said. Finley dabbed him in the side. "He even told my mom about it, also I've reuped my online membership to redstateme.com so there will be no cruising for the force of evil", Kevin explained as he sat down but Finley's attention was on the girl almost in tears. "B what's wrong", Finley asked? She leaned back in her chair. "Yeah what is it", Kevin asked? "I was going through the blue and gold's mail and I got a letter from the black hood killer", Betty said. Finley let out a small gasp as Betty handed the paper to Kevin. Finley looked over Kevin's shoulder. "He says he's doing it for me", Betty said her voice almost strained with fear. "Betty, your words at the jubilee inspired me, the towns sinners must show their contrition", Kevin started and Finley grabbed the paper to continue. "If not there will be more suffering and bloodshed and listen close to this cipher in details where I'll punish the next sinner it is a test only you may solve it Betty", Finley finished looking up at her friend. "My speech inspired him that stupid speech I wrote", Betty said. "So the black hood was at the jubilee", Kevin asked? "The whole town was there", Finley inputed. "We have to give this to my dad", Kevin said. "The cipher yeah sure but not the letter this is just for me we can't tell anyone about it", Betty said in a panic. "It's evidence", Kevin said. "Guys if we give this letter to your dad Kevin, he will tell my mom and she will make damn sure I'm nowhere near this", Betty said. "Good", Kevin instantly said. "No", Betty was quick to say. "Betty", Finley groaned. "Finley this is a test, he said so himself what if the start of the test is to see what I do with the letter so I share it or not am I strong, or am I weak, am I worthy", Betty said going on panicking. Finley's heard ached for her but she wanted to be there for her. "This is a psychopath, and you are in high school not the FBI", Kevin said. "Isn't better for people to be focusing on the cipher rather then the letter", Betty asked? "How would that even happen", Kevin asked?

~

"I was so scared I didn't know what to do or who to call", Betty asked tears in her eyes? Finley sat next to her holding her arm for support. "Awe baby, please tell me what's going on so I can make it better", Alice said. "I got this envelope at the blue and gold", Betty said. "Not another letter from the black hood", Alice asked? This is when the lies came into play. "No not a letter it's a cipher", Finley spoke as Betty gave it to her mother.

~

Finley laid sprawled out as Betty sat on her desk trying to figure out the cipher. Finley then felt a ding her pocket.

Hey you don't have to but I was wondering if tomorrow night I could introduce you to my friend Fangs? I told him about you and he really wants to meet you. His words were, "I want to meet the pretty lady who gave you that kiss on your cheek". I'm not happy about that by the way.

Sorry not sorry and wait am I reading this right? You told one of your serpent friends that your friends with a Northsider? Who is this and where is Sweet Pea?

Haha very funny but no seriously Finny! I'll pick you up because I don't want you walking to the Southside alone. You hear me?

Loud in clear Pea

See you then babygirl

Don't call me that goofball

"Finley who are you texting, oh my god is it that guy from the diner", Betty asked apparently needing a distraction away from the cipher? Finley blushed. "Maybe, he wants me to meet his friend that keeps begging him to meet me", she said. Betty's eyes went wide. "This must be serious who he is anyway", Betty asked? Finley shook her head. "We're just friends and his names Sweet Pea", Finley said. Betty let out a snort. "So that's the guy you wanted Toni to tell hi too, wait Finn, how does Toni know him", Betty asked her tone stern? Finley looked at her with a guilty look. "He goes to Southside High", Finley said. "We both know there's more to it, is he a serpent", Betty asked? Finley couldn't help but shyly nod. "Just be careful Fin", Betty said seriously. "Hey you should ask Jughead to help you with cipher, it's an excuse to see him, I would help but I'd be helpless", Finley said. Betty laughed. "Never, your the most helpful person ever and have fun but not too much fun tomorrow", Betty wanted Finley's face going red again.

A/N: I'm so glad people are loving this story! I enjoy writing it so much! Keep giving me some feedback please.