↳ 07

— 07

❝ i should've known that when things are going good that's when i get knocked down  ❞ — fake happy ; paramore

we're all set to leave today. gina is packing along any and everything she can, percy is making sure everything will go smoothly with the water, and aspen is probably saying his goodbyes to clara.

me, i'm sitting in the boat.

it's not a huge boat, but it's enough for three tiny bedrooms, a small dining area, and an armory.

i'm sat on the dining table, looking over the map of where we're going.

our first calculated stop is france, because gina insisted on seeing the louvre. i agreed because i have no interest in italy, and also because i'm on a quest for the goddess of love, why not stop in the hotspot.

i also remember how much aspen loves french culture. i'd be lying if i said i did it purely for gina.

"i've never see you so focused, curly." a males voice speaks.

"it's not like i want us to die on this quest, aspen. please use common sense. and don't call me that." i say, "focusing" back on the map.

i grab a pen from behind my ear and circle the chanel we can exit france from. it should be a clear cut to greece.

"you're doing a good job at pretending you hate me, maia." he sighs.

"i don't hate you. i hate global warming. how dare you even compare yourself to such a pressing issue. i just am indifferent about you. i'm also indifferent about bird shit." i smile, turning around to face him.

my ego falters a bit when i see him. i fucking adore his dusty blond hair, curved lips, and happy eyes.

oh fuck him.

"we'll see, curly." he smirks.

i roll my eyes and walk to the deck of the ship.

"so you see coordinates? in the sea? is this like an all the time thing or do you have to channel it?" gina asks percy.

he's towering over her, but her dominance is still stronger. she has an unbreakable wit.

"yes, yes, i don't think so. also, why do you care?" he asks.

"just wondering how you work," she turns around to see me. 

"hi maia!"

percy turns too, wide grin on his face, "how do your powers work?"

i cross my arms and lean against the railing.

"basically i can sprout plants out of the earth and use them to my ability. once i lifted two whole trees, roots and all. but i mainly stick to my sword." i say.

"i think it's dumb how you all get these powers but all i get is the ability to be fucking sneaky."

"gina, don't downplay it." percy reprimands.

"i think it's cool how sneaky you are, and you will have the easiest time entering other realms. ya know, with your dad being a messenger god who has to be in pretty much every realm. you're damn cool." i smile.

"you're right," she winks. "plus, i do know a thing or two about a thing or two. speaking of, i need to educate the both of you about something important to this quest."

she is about to begin but she gets interrupted.

"i think you're missing a person." chiron says.

just then, aspen walks out onto the deck.

"ah, there he is. gina please enlighten everyone to what you've thought."

she clears her throat, being serious now.

"well, when the quest tells us to 'find loves in the five sacred looking glasses', i figured out it means the five greek words of love."

"wait, there were five versions of love?" i ask.

"yeah, they're not all pretty either. let's start with eros, it's pretty much sexual passion. but it also has the negative connotation of being an irrational and dangerous love," she pauses. "um, then we have philia, it's deep friendship. most ancient greeks valued this more than any other love. then there's pragma and ludas, they're opposites. pragma is a mature love, usually referring to old married couples. ludas, however, is immature love. think 'puppy love'. the last is agape, love for oneself. two sides of this, narcissism and then just self love." she smiles at me.

"okay... but i don't understand how we find these in mirrors?" aspen says.

"i think we have to test ourselves. find which love applies to us?" i ask.

"yes, you will have to test yourself. but not just at the mirrors. the whole cave of the typhon is designed to make you feel things you don't want to. it wants to detour you from your true feelings." chiron says.

"we have to all have a true belief of our personal love when we find the mirrors. if we pick one while under the caves influence, well, there's been cases of insanity. but mostly death." gina adds.

oh great.

"well, at least we understand that part. but the typhon? fixed point? killing a part of yourself?" percy asks.

"oh, easy. my mother particularly hated the last-born giant, the dragon-serpent, typhon. it's said he struck fear into all the gods. zeus eventually prevailed and killed him though." aspen tells.

"killed him how?" percy asks.

"no one knows." aspen says.

we all slip into silence.

"well, i sincerely hope you all will be safe. i wish you all the best luck. gina, read through those books i gave you, they should help." and with that he's gone.

"let's set sail, old chap." gina smirks, grabbing percy.

i already feel seasick.