Chapter Twelve

The next morning, I woke up and awkwardly made my way to Carter’s room. I knocked and waited for him to answer. He opened and pulled me inside without a word.

“You got your own room?” I asked.

“Problem?”

“It’s just weird you didn’t stay in the same room with me.”

“Was I supposed to?”

            I don’t have an answer for that so I don’t say anything. He’s being weird and if he wants to act like a child then so be it. I sat on his bed and he stared at me. His things were already neatly packed.

“Ready to leave?” I asked.

“I’m not leaving,” he said pointedly. “I’ll catch up later or in a few days.”

            A few days? What did he plan on doing here all that time? I thought of asking but he’d just give me some snotty comment about not having to go wherever I go. There was nothing left for me to do but leave. So I stood and shuffled towards the door.

“Have fun,” I said over my shoulder.

            He wouldn’t be meeting someone, right? I remembered peeking at the guest book while checking in. It said we were the only two people checked in that night. Did Carter plan on staying alone? I went back to my room and dressed for the day in my usual dark wash jeans, combat boots, and crew neck tee. Looking in the mirror, I noticed the faint glow on my skin. The swirls would be back but this time I wasn’t in the water. Veering away from the glass, I refused to acknowledge what I was seeing.

“It’s all just my overactive imagination,” I told myself. I knew I was lying to myself but it was easier to do that than to imagine myself as a glowing freak.

            I began packing my stuff. A light wind blew through my hair but there wasn’t an open window. Then I heard it. The voice that I thought would be gone for good. He called me by my first name, as always.

Adrianna. You shouldn’t leave him like you left me. Who knows? He could die here…or get killed.

            I snorted. Get killed by what? I wanted to ask but that’d be crazy.

Can’t you do this? For me? Please?

            Pleading? Ha. Nice try.

            I ignored the voice that pained me underneath my smirk. I began throwing stuff into my bag now. I needed to go and get out of there.

So you’re going to let him die? Like you let me die?

            That stopped me. I whipped around, thinking maybe someone was playing a joke on me. No one was in my room but me and my insane thoughts. My heart began racing; I grabbed my bag and headed for the door. I felt like I was suffocating. Something’s wrong, I thought. Very wrong. Holding a hand to my heart and using the other to grab the door handle, I felt a shock go through me.

“Damn it,” I hissed, shaking my hand out.

            I tried again and I was shocked once more.

“What the hell is going on?” I shouted, hysterical.

            There was a searing pain in my heart and I dropped to my knees, clutching at my chest. I gasped for air but it wouldn’t come. I felt asthmatic. Something trickled from my nose and I touched it. Blood. I stared at my bloodied hand, watching it fade in and out. I shook my head, trying to see clearer.