Meeting Future Friends and Enemies

Start from the beginning

I sat next to a girl I haven't met yet; "Hi." she says to me; "What's your name?" "Kate; my name is Kate." I replied; I could somehow hear two people talking outside our classroom. "You will start on Monday; but this Friday I would like you to come in so I can introduce you to the children; Mr. John." A woman said; I recognised her voice. It's Abigail's mom; Mrs. Gracia Fouch. "No problem; madam. I'll be there!" John replied enthusiastically. Mrs. Fouch then came into the classroom; I watched her sit down at her desk; and she looked at me with a stern expression.

"Good morning children." She greets us with an expressionless face; the same face she has every day. I've never actually seen her smile; neither has Abby. "I'm going to take the roll now; then we'll get straight into the lesson." She calls out everyone's name; only two kids weren't here today; that makes a change.

After a while; the recess bell goes off. It hurt my ears because it was so loud; but everyone else seemed fine. Normally I'm ok but today... What's happening to me? All the kids rush to our lockers to get our food. A girl with long black curly hair stands next to me; "Hey." Ginnie cheerily greets me; "Do you mind if I eat with you?" she asks me; "No; why would I? You've been my friend since we both started here; you don't need to ask." I tell her.

"That's true! Sorry..." She smiled; "Don't say sorry you silly!" I tell her off. I know why she acts this way; her family life isn't all that great. But I'm not going to let her live like she must apologize for everything. "Thanks; Katie... For being my friend." Ginnie looks at me; I can tell that she appreciates having someone who cares about her. "You're welcome! I love you; you're like a sister to me. I don't want you to think you're unloved; because it's not true. You're loved more than you know!" I say; hugging her tightly. I see a tear roll down her face as we both walk to a table and sit down; then this sixth grader slams his hand on the top of it; causing Ginnie and I to flinch.

"You can't sit here!" the boy says; he looks similar to Ginnie; he has black straight hair; brown eyes; but he was chubby; Ginnie is skinny. And he wore a green shirt that looked like a sport shirt; and blue baggy jeans. "This is our table!"; "Yeah; our table!" his friend echoes him. He sees Ginnie; "Hey little idiot!" He calls to her.

"Don't say that to her!" I say nervously yet angrily; I realised that I was throwing myself in front of the bull; so to speak. But I couldn't let him hurt her. "And why not? She's my sister; I can call her what I want! And she can't say anything about it; otherwise I'll beat her up!" He threatened; I looked over to Ginnie; fear written all over her face. The boy slowly moves closer to me; "Move; or Ginnie won't be the only one getting beat!" He said coldly; I got up and grabbed Ginnie by the arm; taking her away from that dumbass.

"Thanks for sticking up for me... but why'd you do that? You know what he's like!" Ginnie looks at me confused; "You're welcome! I couldn't let him hurt you; and it was scary... but it's worth it if it keeps you safe." I tell her. We go sit at a table with a kid named Dean; he's wearing a light blue shirt and grey baggy pants; he has black eyes and long brown hair ending just below his head.

"Hi; Dean!" Ginnie says happily. "Hey; I saw what happened back there. Are you guys ok?" He asks her. "Yeah; Kate managed to get us away before anything bad could happen!" Ginnie explained; "Whoa... That's impressive; thanks for helping her. I'm Dean; we've never actually met!". "I'm Kate; Wayne." He looks at me; surprised. "So; you're Kate!" Dean looks at me confused; "I thought your hair would be black." Dean says to me. "My mum's hair was blonde."; "Who was your mom?" Dean asks me. "Yeah who was your mom; Wayne?" Harry calls from behind me; "I wouldn't be surprised that the famous Playboy had a kid... Hell; he's probably got a ton since he bangs any woman he sees!" Harry exclaims with a proud look on his face.

That made my blood boil; I hated seeing my dad come home with different women. Some even hated me! I just wish he would stop doing it just to keep up the playboy reputation... he's hurting a lot of women doing this! He's hurting me...