Meeting Future Friends and Enemies

A year later

I toss and turn in my bed; I look at my alarm clock on the nightstand. It's now three in the morning; I've been awake since nine o'clock last night. I decided to do something until I was tired enough to sleep; I pulled open the top drawer of the nightstand and grab my deck of cards I got for my ninth birthday and I sat back on my bed and set up a game of solitaire; but as I make my tenth move; I hear hurried footsteps down the hall.

I get up and quickly make my way outside my room; I look down the hallway and see a dark figure clouded in the shadows; faint moonlight reveals their features; "Daddy? What are you doing up?" I ask him but instead of saying something; he turns around and walked away as if in a hurry.

Oh-k... That was weird... I thought. I decided to return to my room and continue my unfinished game of solitaire; but in the next minute before I begin to head back; I hear the loud roar of an engine; the same one I've been hearing on occasional nights. A wave of curiosity hits me; and I feel the need to go to the library. That car sounds like it takes off from that direction; I wonder... I think to myself as I slowly make my way to the library.

I push open the large library doors; looking around the library seems normal even in the dark. I turn my head and see the old grandfather clock; the time says ten forty-seven. I make my way over to it to investigate; since the time isn't correct. I move my had to the left side of the clock; but just as my index fingers touched the wood; a loud metallic crash frightened me; it sounded like... a trash can. Wait... There isn't a trash can nearby... How did I hear that?... I asked myself. I looked back at the clock; curiosity still eating away at me. It's probably nothing; and I should really be asleep right now... I think to myself. I turn around and head back to my room; leaving a mystery unsolved.

I eventually went to sleep after a couple of rounds of solitaire; I had an odd dream where I was climbing a mushroom that was hunched over. I was in the middle of my dream where I was talking to a tortoise named Trip; he was telling me about a secret passageway beneath an old castle when suddenly; he started calling my name; telling me to go to school.

I awoke to hear Alfred calling for me to come downstairs. I'm glad I got dressed early... I praised myself. I ran downstairs; and Alfred gave me my bag and told me to wait by the car. I gave him a hug telling him I loved him like I always do and run outside; I can't let him forget! And it is true; as I said he's like a grandfather to me.

I stood by the car and waited for Alfred; and then I saw a lady walking by with her dog and noticed the dog staring at me. I smiled but then it suddenly starting growling; my smile faded; and then my heart jumped when it started barking at me. I then realized that the lady was behind the front gate... the gate that's about thirty feet away; or something... How did I see her then? How did the dog see me?! I started getting nervous; what is happening to me?

"Everything alright; miss Kate?" Alfred asked; startling me as I hadn't expected him to be here. "Uh... yeah; I guess?" I replied; Alfred looked at me with an uncertain expression; but didn't push further. We both got into the black Jaguar XF; and drive off to school. I started thinking about what happened before we left. Why would the dog bark at me? It was so far away; how did I hear it? I asked myself; and not too long after; we arrive at my school.

I grab my bag and get out of the car; "Bye!" I wave to Alfred "Have a fun time!" Alfred told me. I enter the school grounds and see Zoe across the playground; I walk up to her; "Hi; Zoe!" I say excitedly "Hi!" we both hug; and then Zoe continues talking to her friends; I just stand there and listen as they talk about typical eleven-year-old things. Several minutes later the bell rings; and we all head to our classes.