Turn Left Pt. 3

The guests and staff go outside and look down the valley, to the viaduct and beyond, to where a mushroom cloud is rising.

"I was supposed to be out there selling papers. I should have been there. We all should. We'd be dead" Wilf says.

"That's everyone. Every single person we know. The whole city."

"Can't be" Donna says.

"But it is. It's gone. London's gone."

"If you hadn't won that raffle" Wilf says, Donna turns to see the maid pointing an accusing finger at her.

*Time skip*

"Leeds? I'm not moving to Leeds" Donna says.

"I'm afraid it's Leeds or you can wait in the hostel for another three months."

"All I want's a washing machine."

"What about Glasgow? I heard there was jobs going in Glasgow" Donna says.

"You can't pick and choose. We've the whole of Southern England flooded with radiation. Seven million people in need of relocation, and now France has closed its borders. So, it's Leeds or nothing. Next!"

*Time skip*

The Nobles are relocated by army bus and dropped off in a terraced street with lots of other families.

"The Daniels Family, billeted at number fifteen. Mister and Mrs Obego, billeted at number thirty-one. Miss Coltrane, you're in number eight. The Noble family, billeted at number twenty-nine" Wilf picks up his telescope.

"That's us. Come on, off we go. All right?"

"Used to be a nice little family, number twenty-nine. They missed one mortgage payment. Just one. They got booted out. All for you lot."

"Don't get all chippy with me, Vera Duckworth. Pop your clogs on and go and feed whippets" Donna says.

"Sweetheart, come on. You're not going to make the world any better by shouting at it" Wilf says.

"I can try" they soon make it to outside number 29.

"What happens? Do we get keys?"

"I don't know, do I?" Wilf asks.

"Who do we ask? The soldiers?" the front door opens.

"Hey, hey. Is a big house. Room for all. Welcome! In you come" the man says.

"I thought this was our house" Donna says.

"Is many peoples house. Is wonderful. In, in, in. We've been here for eight weeks already. I had a nice little paper shop in Shepherd's Bush. All gone now. So, upstairs, we have Merchandani family. Seven of them. Good family. Good kids. Except that one. You be careful of him. I's a joking! Where's that smile, eh? Rocco Colasanto. I'm here with my wife and her sister and her husband and their kids and their daughter's kids. We've got the front room. My mother, she's got the back room. She's old. You forgive, eh? And this? This is you. This is your palazzo" the galley kitchen has camp beds on the floor, and a curtain for a door.

"What do you mean, this is us?"

"You live here."

"We're living in the kitchen?" Donna asks.

"You got camp beds. You got the cooker, you keep warm. You got the fridge, you keep cool. Is good, eh?"

"What about the bathroom?"

"Nobody lives in the bathroom."

"No, I mean, is there a rota?"

"Is pot-luck! Is fun. I go wake Mamma. She likes new people. Mamma! Is people! Nice people!" Rocco leaves.

"Ah, well. We'll settle in, won't we? Make do? Bit of wartime spirit, eh?" Wilf says.

"Yeah, but there isn't a war. There's no fight. It's just this" Donna says.

"Well, America, they'll save us. It was on the news. They're going to send Great Britain fifty billion quid in financial aid. God bless America" later, at mealtime.

"America is in crisis, with over sixty million reported dead. Sixty million people have dissolved into fat. And the fat is walking. People's fat has come to life and is walking through the streets. And there are spaceships. There are reports of spaceships over every major US city. The fat is flying. It's leaving"

"Aliens" Wilf says.

"Yeah" Donna says.

"The fat creatures are being raised into the air" bedtime, lit by tea-lights. Sylvia and Donna's beds are head to head.

"Mary McGinty. Do you remember her?"

"Who was she?" Donna asks.

"Worked in the newsagent on Sunday. Little woman. Black hair."

"Never really spoke to her."

"She'll be dead. Every day I think of someone else. All dead."

"Maybe she went away for Christmas."

"Maybe."

"I'll go out tomorrow. I'll walk into town. There's got to be work. Everyone needs secretaries. Soon as I'm earning, we'll get a proper place. Just you wait, Mum."

"What if it never gets better?"

"Course it will."

"Even the bees are disappearing. You don't see bumble bees anymore" Donna get a weird feeling in her stomach as if she was missing something.

"They'll sort us out. The emergency government. They'll do something."

"What if they don't?"

"Then we'll complain."

"Who's going to listen to us? Refugees. We haven't even got a vote. We're just no one, Donna. We don't exist" there is singing in the front room.

"And I spent all my money on whiskey and beer."

"I am going to kill that man!" Donna says getting up "now listen, Mussolini! I am telling you for the last time to button it! If I hear one more sea shanty" Rocco steps to the side, to reveal...

"I always loved a sing song" Wilf says, so, on the principle of if you can't beat them, join them, that's exactly what Donna does.

"I'm just a poor boy. Nobody loves me. He's just a poor boy from a poor family. Spare him his life from this monstrosity. Easy come, easy go, will you let me go? Bismillah, no..." {A/N: Ahh good ol' Bohemian Rhapsody} gunfire from outside cuts everyone off.

"No, you stay here. Everyone, stay" Rocco says going outside, a soldier is trying to kill his jeep, which is pumping out thick exhaust gas.

"Hey! Firing at the car is not so good. You, you crazy or what?"

"It's this ATMOS thing, it won't stop. It's like gas. It's toxic."

"Well, switch it off" Wilf says.

"I have done. It's still going. It's all the cars. Every single ATMOS car, they've gone mad. You, lady. Turn round! Turn around now!" the soldier aims his weapon at Donna.

"Are you crazy, boy?"

"Put the gun down!"

"I said, turn round! Show me your back!"

'Do what he says!"

"Show me your back!"

"Turn around!"

"Turn around, now! Show me your back!" Donna raises her arms and turns around slowly.

"Sorry. I thought I saw..."

"Call yourself a soldier? Pointing guns at innocent women? You're a disgrace. In my day, we'd have had you court martialled!" Donna sees a bright flash of light at the bottom of the street, and walks towards it.

"Donna? Where are you going? It's not safe at night. Donna! Donna!" Donna walks around the corner.

"Hello."

"Hi" the blonde women says smiling.

---

~Bread 🍞