28

After a long night, I awaken from the best sleep I've ever had. No dreams, nothing interrupted me.

I pull my feet off of my mattress and lace up my boots. I grab my bow, put my knives in my pocket, and walk downstairs to the main portion of the block.

"Bout time you got up" Beth pops her head out of her cell. "I was starting to worry." She laughs.

"What do you mean?" I ask her.

"It's 9:30." She informs me.

What? I haven't slept past the break of down in almost a year.

"Where is everyone?" I look around and notice we are alone.

"They're outside in the fields." She tells me and goes back to doing her chores. I try to check on Hershel to see how he is doing this morning but we was asleep.

I take my time walking outside to join the others. I'm still a little drowsy and the sun feels so good on the coolness of my skin. It gets chilly at night in the cells.

I slowly approach my group when I make it out of the final gate. The two prisoners had somehow manage to find their way from the cell block they had to ours. The taller one was talking to Rick about something when I walked through the middle of the two of them.

"Axel, Oscar" I pat them on the back. "Good to see you boys."

"Why can't y'all be as welcoming as this fine lady?" The red headed prisoner asks Rick when I turn around, stopping beside him.

"Oh I'm not trying to make you feel welcomed" I stop him by raising my hand in the air. "Just letting you know, if you attempt a stunt like your friend did the other day I will cut both of your arms off and feed them to my pet walkers."

I smile sarcastically and his face drops. I don't want them here, haven't from the moment they made that damn deal.

"You're sick." He spats.

"You're probably right." I shake my head. This new world makes us all a little twisted.

"You either live in your cell block or you leave." Rick interrupts our conversation to attend back to their first one.

"I told you this was a waste of time" Oscar tells his friend. "They ain't no different than those pricks that shot up our boys." He gives Rick a glare of disgust.

"You know how many friends corpses' we had to drag out this week? Just threw them out. These were good guys. Good guys who had our backs against the really bad dudes in the joint like Thomas and Andrew." He pauses. "Now we've all made mistakes to get in here, chief and I'm not gonna pretend to be a saint, but believe me. We've paid our due. Enough that we would rather hit that road than to go back into that shitthole."

Rick turns to Daryl, Daryl shaking his head no sternly.

"I'm sorry." Rick tells them.

Daryl locks them up in a blocked off part of the field and we have a quick meeting.

"You serious? You want them living in a cell next to you?" Rick asks Theo. "They'll just be waiting for a chance to grab our weapons."