9

Daryl and I take our time getting back to the farm. We soak up the sun and keeping our eyes peeled for anything unusual in a peaceful silence.

"I'm gonna get some squirrels while I'm out here." He says, adjusting his crossbow so that he's ready. He stops walking and finds a spot suitable enough to lay his pack.

"Squirrels?" I repeat. I remember Dale and I's first conversation and how he told me about this, but I don't say anything.

"Yeah" He looks around. "Go on back."

"Hell no, I'm going squirrel hunting." I enthusiastically reply. I snag an arrow from my quiver and look up to Daryl, determined to learn his methods.

"You serious?" He stops and turns around.

"Duh." I say, sounding more like a teenager than I usually do.

He pushes his shoulders around and sighs. He props himself against a tree and waits for me to prepare. He gives me a 'this is your last chance' glare and I let him know I'm not leaving.

"Stay behind me."

I do as told, keeping only a few inches between us. We walk off of the beaten path only a ways, not seeing anything. Not even a damn bird.

"Do you bring people hunting with you often?" I ask to arouse a conversation out of our boredom.

"No, shut up." He snaps in a hushed tone.

I roll my eyes even though he can't see me. We wander around for about thirty minutes and I huff in defeat. Daryl kills six squirrels and I kill time.

"Never in my life have I had an issue finding something to shoot." I groan.

He laughs and listens to me complain. He is a tense man, and doesn't laugh or smile often. When he does though it's kind of beautiful.

What the hell am I saying?

I shake away my thoughts, tuning back in to our conversation.

"It's cause you don't ever stop talkin.'" He pokes at me.

"Bullshit." I reply. He looks at me and I almost see him smile again.

I sit back and watch Daryl get a rope out of his bag, tying his squirrels onto it so its easier to carry. He starts explaining his knot technique to me.

"Kinda like the one you used on me the other night?' I ask. He shakes his head yes without breaking his concentration.

"It's gonna be dark soon, we need to go." He says.

I try to help him with his bag while he carries his string of squirrels. I get his pack out of his hand, brushing across his and he stiffens. I wait for him to yell or pull back but he doesn't, he doesn't say anything and allows me to take it.

"Have you ever tried bow fishing?" I ask on our walk back.

"Why would I? I got squirrels." He replies raspy.

"It's nice to change things up. I'll take you sometime, since you so offered to bring me with you." I grin.

"I didn't-" He reminds me. "Your stubborn ass wouldn't leave." He groans and I laugh.