17

The moon went hiding
The stars quit shining
Rain was dropping
Thunder, lightening
You wrecked my whole world when you came
And hit me like a hurricane

[ Hurricane by Luke Combs ]

The wind has been blowing at a higher speed and the clouds overtime have turned dark and dull. Hershel mentioned something about a rain shower moving in this evening, which only gives me one idea; tonight is the perfect night for bow fishing.

After dinner, I wait for the sun to reach the edge of setting and gather some necessities. My bow, clean arrows, a flashlight, a bag to carry anything I might catch, and a small jacket just in case the temperature drops.

This is the perfect opportunity to get some time with Daryl. I mentioned this before and even though he didn't seem keen on it, it couldn't hurt to offer.

"Hey sunshine" I greet him, walking up to his tent that is still placed near the woods instead of our camp.

He sits around a small open fire, roasting some sort of meat on a limb. His head snaps up, catching my eyes.

"What is it?" He grunts, showing no interest in me being around him.

"Interested in learning how to bow fish?" I lift my bow up in my hands. "This is good weather for it."

"You was serious 'bout that?" He snarls with disgust.

"C'mon, it'll be fun!" I push him to come with me. It may not be the most exciting thing but it keeps you busy.

"Doubt that" He snorts at my enthusiasm. "But sure. Bout tired of squirrel anyway."

He drops whatever it was he was preparing to eat, grabbing his crossbow and dusting off his hands with his jeans.

"Lead the way." He nudges me, walking away from the unattended fire pit.

I lead Daryl and I out in the direction of the same area we found the abandoned house the other day. I remember seeing a small stream of fresh water, maybe I can find it again.

"You even know where you're goin'?" He asks from behind me.

"Yes." I roll my eyes even though he can't see.

"No you don't" He argues with me competitively. "Stream's over there."

I turn to see what direction he points to and it's the complete opposite of our route now.

"Oh" is all I say.

Daryl takes over the leading. About half a mile up the east side of the woods, we find a narrow strand of a larger lake that is grounded much closer than I imagined.

"What about here?" I ask, spotting a empty patch in the grass right on the shoreline. "It's perfect."

"Whatever princess." Daryl smirks lazily, leaving the decision up to me. The nickname hitches in my throat, my body stiffening. I hate when people call me that.

I step down off of the side of the bank, settling into the spot I picked out. Daryl raises his crossbow off of his shoulder, sitting down next to me with his back against the slope.

"What now?" He lays his bow down between us next to mine.

"Now we wait" I tell him. "It's best to start when it's dark."

"Why?" He asks curiously.

"Hell I don't know" I snap. I instantly regret my harsh tone with him, hoping this wouldn't ruin his decent mood.