10

"Killian."

"Killian, wake up."

I groan and roll over on my side. Memories from last night take over my thought. I'm not on the same hard surface I fell asleep on last night, I'm on a mattress, I think.

I force my eyes open from my deep slumber. I look around the living room of the farm house, where I am instead of Maggie's bedroom.

"Get up." Rick sits on the edge of the end table in front of me with his arms crossed on his knees.

The sound of his now clearer voice sparks me awake. I sit up off of the couch and push the blankets someone tossed over my legs. I try to stand up but there is no way for me to due to Rick.

"Move." I snap groggily.

"Go get somethin' to eat, you've got a long day ahead of you." He stands up and walks away from the couch.

I ignore him and reach down beside the couch for my backpack, mentally thanking whoever brought it down with me.

"You're not gonna need that." He tells me.

I roll my eyes and turn around to face him again. His shoulders slump and he rubs the bottom of his face with his hand.

"So what? You're just going to take my shit and kick me out?" I try to elaborate the situation.

He shakes his head immediately and he lifts his baggy eyes away from the open window in front of him.

"No. You're not goin' anywhere." He says, trying to sound reassuring.

A small part me relaxes when he tells me that I'm not going to leave.

"After our .." He comes to a lost for words. "Discussion last night, Daryl came to me and explained what happened. I owe you an apology." He continues to say.

Daryl's name catches my attention. Why would he, out of all people help me? He doesn't like me and he made that perfectly clear.

"Why? I almost killed someone in your group." I cross my arms stubbornly.

"Our group" He corrects me. "And yeah, you did but you tried being honest with me and I didn't let you."

I nod my head and agree with him. I pull my bottom lip between my teeth, reasoning his logic in my head.

"Andrea told me you held a gun to her head." He huffs. "It was ridiculous for me to even believe it."

"Yeah it was." I agree again.

"It's gonna be harder than I thought it would be to trust you so easily. From now on I promise, if there is an issue come up we will work through it together. I've already had a talk with Andrea and she won't be bothering you anymore." He encourages me to stay.

"Just" He searches for the right words to say. "Don't go. We need you."

We need you

Before the world ended, I wasn't much use to anyone. My mom was a neurosurgeon and my dad was a detective for the bureau of criminal investigation. Together they were a successful couple, who raised two girls in a beautiful house on the upper side of Virginia. My twin sister, Kendall, was a softball legend in our hometown who always made the best of grades and more friends than she could count. There there was me. Kendall and I may have been identical twins, but we couldn't have been more different. I had the grades, but I was never really social. I didn't go out on Friday's with my friends, hell I didn't even have friends. I was a stay in and watch movies kind of girl. Then we graduated and parted ways. Kendall went to Virginia Tech to study Chemical Engineering, and I ended up in Tennessee. I wanted to be a forensic scientist and work for the FBI, following closely behind my dad but it was never enough for them. Nothing I ever did was. I was always the odd man out, even in my family.