4

When the sun rise and the warmth from the sun rays peak through my tent. My eyes flutter open and I squint them, adjusting to the light. I have created this habit of getting up right when the sun does, and I hate it. I used to sleep in everyday. I hated morning and I wanted nothing to do with them; but nowadays I don't have that luxury.

I groan to myself and slip out of the sleeping bag. I put my boots on, take the bottle of water that was left for me, grab my bow and leave my temporary bed.

When I step outside I see many of the other campers were already up as well. Some women were cleaning, washing clothes, cooking and some of the men were working on Dale's RV. I walk across the campground and watch as they take parts off of Glenn's new ride, tearing it apart right in front of him. Glenn stands there all by himself, chewing on his thumbnail.

"It's okay Glenn." I rub his back lightly.

"Go on, strip it clean" He watches them painfully. Rick comes to his other side and lays a hand on his shoulder.

"Sorry Glenn" Dale shrugs and carries one of the cars parts away.

"Maybe we can steal you another one someday" Rick tells him. Glenn looks at him and shakes his head. Rick laughs and walks away.

Just when I was about to say something else to Glenn, I was interrupted my loud screaming.

"Dad!" A faint scream comes from the woods.

"Carl" Lori looks at Rick frantically and they both run off into the direction of the sound. I throw my water bottle down on the ground and chase after them to see what is going on.

"Carl, oh my god" Lori pushes past a few trees and finds her son running for her.

"He didn't get scratched or anything, thank God" A lady who was walking with Carl told Lori with panic. She puts her hands on her knees and leaves over to catch her breathe.

"By what?" I ask. She glances up at me and points with her eyes around the corner. I follow her silent instructions and drag my feet through the soft grass.

I stop walking, coming shoulder to shoulder Rick. A walker, kneeling down on the ground in front of us, gnawing on the organs of a dead deer with two arrows in its back legs. Men came from the group carrying any sort of weapon they could find. Guns, shovels, rakes, axes. They all huddle around the walker and peer at its actions in disgust.

Everyone picks up their weapons and starts beating on the walker. They hit anywhere there is an opening on the fragile body, causing loud grunts and moans from if. Do they even know how to kill one properly?

I raise my bow in the air and snatch an arrow from my quiver. I pull straight back, line my shot correctly, and let go. The arrow flies away from me hitting right in the walkers skull. It falls forward on top of the deer, and everyone stops their striking.

"Nice shot" Shane says breathlessly, resting his hands on his hips.

"Thanks" I mumble.

"That's the first one we've had up here. They never come this far up the mountain" Dale says to everyone.

"They're running out of food in the city, that's what" Someone replies.

Andrea and Amy come running behind us and I hear one of them gasp. More sounds of crunching stems and leaves come from behind the hump and everyone jumps. They all raise their weapons again while Shane stands in the front with his hand gun.