Act 3: Scene 20

RON AND HERMIONE'S HOUSE, EXTERIOR

Snow is falling on a small house nestled in the trees. HARRY enters like a specter. He has cleaned himself up considerably but is still visibly worn out. He walks through the trees, looking around himself nervously. He reaches the door and knocks.

Suddenly the mat is pulled out from under him. HARRY is flipped to the snowy ground. Before he can get to his feet, the door opens. RON appears, wand ready. His shoulders slump.

RON: Harry. You're... um... What are you doing here?

HARRY (gruffly): Thanks for laying out the welcome mat.

RON: It's one of George's. Security measure. Can't be too safe these days.

RON's expression shifts from one of curiosity to disappointment.

Do you know what you've done, Harry? The destruction you've caused? They're looking everywhere for you. The Aurors... they were here an hour ago, pressing Hermione to see if she had any knowledge of your whereabouts.

HARRY: I know. I waited for them to leave.

RON: Whatever reason you may have had in coming, I need you to go. You're not dragging us down with you.

HARRY: I trained the Aurors myself. I know what to do.

RON: Keep telling yourself that.

RON begins to close the door. HARRY fights to keep it open.

HARRY (every word rushed): Wait, Ron. Wait! A mistake has been made and we're going to right it! We're going to use a Time-Turner. We're going to bring them back.

RON: What? Keep your voice down.

HARRY: I can fix things!

A light comes on inside the house. RON sighs and stops pushing the door. He glances over his shoulder. HERMIONE hastens to the foyer. She looks upon HARRY. There is a hesitant moment. HERMIONE seems conflicted, not sure whether to hug HARRY or to punch him.

HERMIONE (speaking quickly): The reports say you were there at the invasion, but no one saw you leave. I imagined the worst. Harry, you look tired. When's the last time you slept?

He shrugs.

HARRY: It's been days.

HERMIONE: Come out of the cold. I'll put the kettle on.

HERMIONE is already walking back inside when RON stops her.

RON: Absolutely not. Who will take care of Rose and Hugo when we're thrown into Azkaban for abetting him?

HERMIONE: Ronald, you're wrong. It's Harry.

RON: You heard what he did at the Ministry! I'm not putting our family at risk for —

HERMIONE: He is family.

HARRY raises his hands in peace and takes a step back from the door.

HARRY: You have a right to be angry. You both do. I made some mistakes. (beat) Some big mistakes, in fact. I want to set those mistakes right.

HERMIONE: It may be too late for that, Harry. The goblins are in full rebellion. And once the elves got involved...

This fact is particularly hurtful for HERMIONE.