Act 3: Scene 8

FORBIDDEN FOREST

Splashes of sunlight wash over a clearing in the woods. HARRY is searching the forest floor on hands and knees. Through the tree line, we see three small goal posts in the shape of hoops along with tiny Quidditch players on broomsticks that occasionally fly into view. Distant cheers are heard. HARRY lifts his head, seeming to find his bearings.

HARRY: But it was there. I know it was.

He sweeps a hand across the ground. There is a puff of dirt.

This is where it happened.

The trees rustle. Then the tall and majestic figure of a centaur enters. It is BANE, and he does not look happy to see HARRY.

BANE: What foolish mortal dares disturb the silence of the forest? Speak, or be leveled.

HARRY stands.

HARRY: Thought I'd be seeing you here, Bane. Did I... set off an alarm or something?

BANE (perplexed): Harry Potter. I did not recognize you.

HARRY: Yeah, I've had a rough year.

BANE: News of your wife's death reached Hogwarts. I mourned her. And your son.

HARRY: Thanks. Maybe next time, be a little less mysterious about your allusions to a "black cloud" surrounding someone. Perhaps a clue that's more inline with — oh, I don't know — I can see two of him!

BANE hesitates to respond. He moves into the clearing.

BANE: Visions are unclear, prophecies often incomplete. (beat) You are angry. Lost. What are you doing here, Harry Potter?

HARRY: Looking for something I misplaced years ago.

BANE: The Resurrection Stone.

HARRY is rejuvenated.

HARRY: Yes, have you found it? I — I need to see my family!

There is a pause as BANE hesitates again to respond.

BANE: You should be on your way.

HARRY: Wait, please. The stone. If I could only use it momentarily.

HARRY rushes forward, practically begging.

My son needs to know — I think I'd like to tell him that I'm occasionally capable of more bravery than he might think I am. Or — thought I was. I think he'd like to know about that — I wish I could tell him. And Ginny. I — they need to understand. I wasn't given a chance to apologize. To admit that I was wrong. I can have that with the stone. Don't take that away from me.

BANE: Magic of that sort should not exist.

BANE turns away and HARRY follows, staying in view.

HARRY: Stop! I have to see them, you don't understand. I need answers!

BANE: That is lamentable. For the Resurrection Stone has been destroyed. I saw to it myself.

HARRY: NO!

HARRY pulls his wand on BANE, who makes a sound like a horse's cry. BANE rears up on his hind legs and kicks HARRY back. HARRY's wand breaks in half. The pieces go flying as he falls hard onto the dirt. Gasping for breath, HARRY pulls himself up to a fallen tree. BANE looks down at HARRY without any sense of gentleness remaining.

BANE (steady and strong): For what you have done to protect the Wizarding World, I extend to you a chance to flee. Do not pass into these woods again. Tell your chief, the treaty of peace between centaur and man is no longer.

HARRY (bitterly): We don't need you! And do not threaten me! EVER!

BANE looks at HARRY a moment more, and then his eyes turn skyward.

BANE: The clouds gather, Harry Potter. A storm lingers on the horizon. Beware.

He trots on.

Fade to black