Act 4: Scene 17

HOGSMEADE, THE THREE BROOMSTICKS

The stage is full as patrons crowd a smoky and inviting pub, a healthy fire in the stone hearth. BARMAID is passing out drinks as quickly as MADAM ROSMERTA, the proprietor, is making them. There are so many lively conversations. So much laughter. Clinking drinks — big smiles. A ghost hovers past. A goblin shares a table with a witch and three elves. It's a harmonious portrait, reflected in the very magical music that underscores everything. And there, at the center of it all, we see many familiar faces.

RON, GEORGE, and ARTHUR are holding everyone's attention with a funny story. HERMIONE and GINNY are standing beside one another. MOLLY is sitting with LILY and HUGO, a hand on each of them, sharing a table with a few small children, along with ANGELINA and her daughter, ROXANNE. JAMES is listening with a few friends. ALBUS, SCORPIUS, and ROSE are in a shadowed booth, trying out a spell in secret that doesn't seem to be working. And, of course, PERCIVAL CLEARWATER is regaling ROBESPIERRE and ETHEL with a recount of his recent political achievements.

HARRY enters through the elevated door and stands at the top of a short staircase. He leans against the wall and looks at them. He watches. He smiles, not wanting to interrupt the scene. HARRY notices ALBUS. His expression says it all — my son is safe, he's safe.

Hoots and guffaws escape from their group. RON holds up his hands, GEORGE and ARTHUR can hardly breathe. MOLLY is covering her smiling mouth.

RON: To conclude...

GEORGE: Yes, to conclude — never leave your wellington boots unattended.

The door opens behind HARRY, a YOUNG MAN enters with his head down. He is hard to distinguish through the haze until he slaps HARRY on the back.

YOUNG MAN: Sorry I'm late, Dad.

HARRY turns. His chest caves, his face softens.

HARRY (breathy): Teddy...

HARRY hugs him strongly.

I missed you, Son.

TEDDY laughs as they separate. He gives HARRY a sideways glance.

TEDDY: I just saw you at the conference this morning. Does this have anything to do with the —?

HARRY: No, I...

HARRY takes TEDDY by the back of the neck and pulls him into another embrace. HARRY sniffs, then sighs and ushers TEDDY toward the stairs.

Go hug your mother.

TEDDY (half-laughing): Oh-kay. If you say so.

HARRY watches in relief as TEDDY approaches GINNY and gives her a long hug. She mutters something to TEDDY who shrugs. GINNY looks back inquisitively at HARRY who is smiling with a joy that only the audience can understand. He descends the stairs evenly and walks directly to JAMES. HARRY embarrasses JAMES in front of his friends by embracing him. JAMES shoves his dad away bashfully. HARRY finds LILY and kisses her on the top of her head, then approaches the corner where ROSE, ALBUS, and SCORPIUS are sitting. They quickly stow their wands and slip out of the booth.

ROSE: Hey, Uncle Harry.

ROSE slinks away as ALBUS and SCORPIUS try not to make eye contact with HARRY. The young trio don't realize that he doesn't care at all about what they might have been doing. HARRY gives ALBUS a hug — one that surpasses time itself. Then, rather unexpectedly, HARRY reaches out an arm and pulls SCORPIUS in.