Act 4: Scene 1

DIAGON ALLEY, FLOURISH AND BLOTTS YEAR 2

The curtain rises with sweeping celestial music. HARRY, RON, and HERMIONE walk along a winding lane of delightful shops, all crammed together, on a beautiful summer's day. They have time traveled to the past.

RON: Blimey! Summer before second year at Hogwarts.

HARRY (euphoric): It looks so...

HERMIONE: Does, doesn't it?

The three of them round a corner to be faced with a young boy leaving a shop for quills. He has bright red hair and his head in a book — it's YOUNG PERCY. RON looks mesmerized.

HARRY: Was that ?

RON: Percy.

RON watches YOUNG PERCY walk away.

He carried that book around with him all year Prefects Who Gained Power.

HERMIONE: Be careful what you wish for.

They walk further down the lane, only to be confronted by a massive, unmoving crowd made up entirely of witches.

RON: What's going on? Have we already caused a problem?

HARRY: It's because of him. Don't you remember?

HARRY points to a banner above the windows of the nearest shop, Flourish and Blotts. The banner reads: GILDEROY LOCKHART will be signing copies of his autobiography MAGICAL ME today from 12:30 P.M. to 4:30 P.M.

HERMIONE: The Indian peacock feather. Gilderoy Lockhart arrived at every book signing with a dozen or so feather quills all of them peacock.

RON: How in Merlin's...?

Beat, he turns to HARRY.

My wife. Custodian of the world's most insignificant information.

HERMIONE: Seems pretty significant in this instance.

HARRY: In Ron's defense...

HERMIONE: There was an entire chapter devoted to it in Magical Me, if you must know.

HERMIONE moves them through the crowd. She looks a bit too eager. RON notices.

RON: Should we pick you up a signed copy while we're here?

HERMIONE: I mean, it would be worth something in the future. It's not as if he's signing copies anymore.

RON: You're joking. I wasn't being serious.

HERMIONE: What? (beat) Neither was I.

The exterior walls of Diagon Alley separate as the trio look in the windows. We can see that there is a winding line of excited customers, mostly women, leading to the back of the bookstore. And there, seated at a table, was their former Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, GILDEROY LOCKHART — 30s, in robes of forget-me-not blue, lush blonde hair covered partially by pointed wizard's hat.

HARRY: Unreal. Gilderoy Lockhart.

HERMIONE: He looks so much younger than I remember.

HERMIONE touches her cheek. She smiles faintly. RON is staring at her.

RON (aghast): You've got to be joking.