Act 1: Scene 1

KING'S CROSS – 2017

An empty station. From between the barriers come two laden trolleys with two large, rattling cages. They're being pushed by two boys, JAMES POTTER and ALBUS POTTER, their mother, GINNY, follows after. A thirty-seven-year-old man, HARRY, has his daughter, LILY, on his shoulders.

HARRY: As I calculate it, we should be approaching the barrier soon and then it'll be on to you-know-where.

GINNY (uneasy): It's our first year without Teddy. I wish I knew he was safe.

HARRY: I wouldn't put him in harm's way, Ginny.

ALBUS: Where's he gone to?

JAMES: Teddy's on an undercover mission for Dad's department. Right, Dad?

HARRY (with a serious nod): Strictly need-to-know.

JAMES: And you, Al, do not need to know.

GINNY (bothered): Neither does his mother, apparently.

HARRY: Let's make this a pleasant day, shall we?

LILY: Just a question, but where — exactly — are we going?

ALBUS: We've been here plenty of times.

LILY (looking round): Oh, yes. Platform nine and three-quarters. What did you say last year, Mum?

JAMES (mimicking GINNY): All you have to do is walk straight at the wall between platforms nine and ten. Don't stop and don't be scared you'll crash into it, that's very important. Best to do it at a run if you're nervous!

GINNY: James, give it a rest.

LILY: And then what happens?

JAMES (in his normal voice): Nothing. Unless you go in backwards.

A SUSPICIOUS MAN, long-bearded, elderly, and imposing, is standing on the footbridge above. The man is watching their family. HARRY notices. He suddenly reaches for the scar on his forehead and places LILY on the ground. GINNY sees and looks concerned.

GINNY: What is it, Harry? Is your... your scar hurting?

HARRY (pained): No, I...

HARRY looks up. SUSPICIOUS MAN is gone.

An itch... Nothing more.

GINNY: Harry.

She stops a beat, confused.

How long has it been since your scar hurt?

HARRY: Nineteen years.

GINNY (abruptly): James! Lily, come straight back here. Time is of the essence.

GINNY takes the second trolley and exits after LILY and JAMES.

HARRY (to ALBUS): Mum's right. Ready?

ALBUS (reflective): What if I'm not?

HARRY: I know what you've got in there. However you see yourself — I know — know — that heart is a good one — the heart of a brave Gryffindor. Whether you like it or not, you're already on your way to being some wizard.

ALBUS: That's easy for you to say. You saved the world.

HARRY: Well, that's a long and complicated story. And we don't have time for it.

ALBUS: There aren't any prophecies about me, Dad. Things were just different for you. I don't think you see that.

HARRY: Albus, you're much better off than I was. My parents weren't alive to help me find the platform or buy supplies on Diagon Alley.

ALBUS: I know, you've told us. Uncle Hagrid helped you.

HARRY: That's right. I was nervous, too. It's intimidating but consider it a temporary discomfort. Things will work out in the end. They did for me.

HARRY glances up at the footbridge where SUSPICIOUS MAN had been standing. ALBUS thinks his father is checking the clock.

ALBUS: Are you worried the train will leave without me?

HARRY: My son is a Potter. They wouldn't dare.

HARRY and ALBUS put their hands on the trolley — together they run hard into the barrier.