Act 2: Scene 15

HARRY POTTER'S HOUSE, EXTERIOR, BACK GARDEN — MIDNIGHT

Moonlight covers the bricked exterior of the house. We pick out a boy dressed all in black as he steps cautiously along a path through the bushes at the back of the stage. It is SCORPIUS. He walks out past the painted metal patio set, where a familiar looking owl is sleeping with a crushed letter in its beak. SCORPIUS bends to pick something up from the path. We understand this to be a handful of pebbles, as he begins to carefully throw them at a window on the second floor. After a moment of gentle clinking, ALBUS opens the window, sees his friend, and makes to climb out. The backpack over his shoulder tells us that he was anticipating this. ALBUS leaps down the rest of the way. He runs to SCORPIUS.

SCORPIUS (in a whisper): I couldn't get the extra broomstick, and I thought I shouldn't alert my dad. Just in case.

ALBUS: It's fine. We'll ride together.

ALBUS smiles. SCORPIUS smiles back. Then ALBUS reaches into his pocket. Somehow, he has his wand.

Lumos!

The tip of his wand lights their path. The boys take a single step and then ALBUS freezes. He is staring at the patio table.

SCORPIUS: What is it?

ALBUS: Teddy's owl. It follows my dad everywhere because he won't accept the letter.

SCORPIUS: So...

ALBUS doesn't need to reply. He already knows. His wand lowers and, with it, the light.

We watch as the air around one of the patio chairs seems to ripple, and then a portion of the environment drops to the ground as if it were a piece of camouflaging fabric. And who is sitting there, his eyes upon them, his ears hearing every word? HARRY, one leg crossed casually over the other. He was beneath the Invisibility Cloak. HARRY is perfectly calm as he gets to his feet and ambles toward them. SCORPIUS looks at his friend, shocked.

HARRY: Oops-a-daisy. The old window trick again, I see? This is against the rules and it's the middle of the night. But... I can't say I wasn't expecting this.

ALBUS: You've been out here all night under that cloak?

HARRY: I waited. Very patiently.

HARRY shakes his head, entertained by the moment.

Thought you could escape because I wasn't in the bedroom, eh? And your wand! Merlin's beard, you figured out the combination to the safe. I'll need to sleep upstairs from now on. Keep a better eye on things.

ALBUS: Shouldn't you be sleeping in bed anyway? Or is your guilt over mum stopping you?

HARRY (ignoring the insult): That's enough. Sorry to break up the reunion. Say your goodbyes.

ALBUS looks over at SCORPIUS and his heart breaks. HARRY steps between them.

SCORPIUS: It's okay, Albus. I'll see you back at Hogwarts.

HARRY: I'm — afraid that's not going to happen. (he laughs, but with seriousness) You're through being friends. My son will be staying away from you for now on.

ALBUS: No, I won't!

HARRY: Yes, you will. And do you know why? Because Professor McGonagall will watch your every move and report back to me.

ALBUS looks stunned.

ALBUS: You can't do that. You have no control at Hogwarts.

HARRY: With one exception. I have it on good authority that there is a black cloud surrounding you, that could very well have something to do with Voldemort's return. This would be a Ministry matter.