What Needs To Change

What made HARRY POTTER such a powerful series in the first place? And where did CURSED CHILD get it completely wrong? The touchstone for me is that we need to bring the franchise back to its spiritual and functional roots.

- This story should be a mystery

- The script should surround the trio: Harry, Ron, and Hermione

-  Ultimately, my narrative needs to be about Harry's struggle to find his place in a magical world full of conflicts and darkness... and remain alive while doing so.

If it is being touted as the 8th story, it must be linked properly to the rest of the series.

- All story points must be tied in some way to elements from books 1-7.

- Book seven should no longer be considered the last book... it's now the second to last book. Any leftovers from Deathly Hallows must be dealt with properly. The Snatchers, the werewolves, the Death Eaters, the miserable dregs of the war would all still be working toward some shared goal.

- All references to Harry's earlier story must have a reason for being there. This is not a greatest hits album. Every choice I make should be easily defensible.

  - Thematically, since the books got progressively darker, the finale should be the darkest of the series.

The framework of magical time travel needs retooling.

- If we're gonna mess with the Time-Turner, give it a purpose. Improve the device's overall and primary functions.

- If this story ends up including Alternate Universes, it must be better explained and still able to be considered "true" to OS-Canon.

- Time travel must be understood once and for all. In some way... and I don't yet know how I'm going to accomplish this task lol... time travel must not be able to change the past (keeping with canon from Prisoner of Azkaban), but... uh... must be able to change the past (keep with new "canon" from Cursed Child). However I choose to illustrate this, it must make complete sense.

Let's put the "care" back in characters.

- Everyone needs to be in character. That means they will act and speak according to the original source material, book 1-7.

- Should easily pass the Bechdel test (must have two female characters who talk to each other about something other than men).

- Appearances by Teddy and Neville and Hagrid and Mr. Weasley and Mrs. Weasley and...GEORGE!

- Cedric Diggory does not go bad and kill Neville Longbottom.

- Harry will not ever be telling Albus, "Well, there are times I wish you weren't my son."

- Craig Bowker Jr. does not exist. (unless there's a REALLY good reason!)

Just plain NO

- Voldemort Day / "For Voldemort and Valor". Not happening.

- No notes from the past written in love potion.

- No 100% new prophecy.

All Was Well

- Better ending. No heart-to-heart Andy Griffith Show moments on a hill discussing Harry's effing fear of pigeons.

- The end must be perfectly referential.  I open at the close.