Act 4: Scene 5

HOGWARTS, HEADMASTER'S OFFICE — YEAR 3

Lights come up on a circular room, a gentle fire in the hearth. The walls are almost completely covered with portraits in gilded frames. There are many curious instruments and magical items humming softly, sputtering, and puffing smoke. As well, we see a familiar phoenix that still resides in PROFESSOR McGONAGALL's office in present day. And, of course, there is a massive, claw-footed desk. A man is bent over the desk, probing the drawers and looking under scrolls in search of something, his desperate expression tinted orange by the fire — it's HARRY.

A tall, thin, and impressively old wizard enters unseen, opposite HARRY. He is the very picture of a concerned kindly man with a silvery beard and long, purple robes — this is ALBUS DUMBLEDORE. He looks over his half-moon spectacles at the man rummaging through his desk.

DUMBLEDORE: Good evening, Harry.

HARRY (startled): Professor Dumbledore — you knew it was me?

DUMBLEDORE: I never forget a face. Even if it happens to have aged substantially since my last viewing.

HARRY: You're — not surprised to see me?

DUMBLEDORE: We had something of a mishap in the Forbidden Forest recently. A matter I found rather puzzling.

HARRY looks worried.

Don't disturb yourself. Professor McGonagall and I handled it quietly. We put it down to Peeves.

There is a pause. The men just admire one another. HARRY's face softens. He smiles unabashedly, like a child.

HARRY: You're just as I remember. I... I haven't seen you in so long...

DUMBLEDORE: I gathered that. Nonetheless — I do not know whether to embrace you, Harry — or to frown at you.

HARRY steps forward and DUMBLEDORE knows to open his arms to him. They hug. It is a sweet moment.

DUMBLEDORE: You guessed my password, I see? Peppermint Toad.

HARRY: I knew it wasn't Sherbet Lemon. Not anymore. You tend to... favor candy.

DUMBLEDORE: Indeed — confections. I have no greater weakness.

HARRY: It's... wonderful to see you again.

DUMBLEDORE: And you, Harry. It is good to see you alive and well.

HARRY looks away.

HARRY: Alive, at least.

DUMBLEDORE: Wellness comes as the body withers — in time.

DUMBLEDORE inspects the state of his desk.

Is there a particular reason you waited until now to visit?

HARRY: I thought the castle would be empty.

DUMBLEDORE: It is. Save for Mister Filch — and myself.

HARRY: And that you might be resting.

DUMBLEDORE: I have been. It was an eventful year.

HARRY: Yes, it was.

The two men are saying much without saying much of anything. It appears as if DUMBLEDORE is testing HARRY.

DUMBLEDORE: With the greatest respect, might you tell me why you are here in the middle of the night rifling through my belongings?

HARRY: I came back for the Time-Turner you'd given to Hermione.

DUMBLEDORE: I see. Based on your appearance, I would suspect you were already in the possession of a Time-Turner.

HARRY's gaze falters.

Why do you require a second? (beat) What has this young, brave, handsome man got up his sleeves, I wonder? (beat) Why are you here?

HARRY: It's all going wrong for me, Professor Dumbledore.

DUMBLEDORE (slowly): At this age, should you not be addressing me as a peer? As... Albus? That is, unless you find it burdensome to do so.

HARRY studies DUMBLEDORE. It's as if the man already knows about HARRY's future son.

What troubles you, Harry?

HARRY: It seems I'm not as good at fatherhood as I am at catching the Snitch.

DUMBLEDORE: Children are a precious gift.

HARRY: I've... I've made terrible mistakes, Professor. So much has gone wrong. I've hurt one of them — terribly. I cannot go back without making things right for him.

DUMBLEDORE: Him. A son.

HARRY: One of two. And they have a little sister.

DUMBLEDORE smiles. We are meant to recall that he had a younger brother and sister. The smile dwindles. He locks eyes with HARRY.

DUMBLEDORE: Pain must and will come. It is a difficult thing, I imagine, to see your child in pain.

HARRY: More than I can put into words. (beat) How would you feel about me naming him after you?

DUMBLEDORE considers this.

DUMBLEDORE: Candidly, Harry, it seems a great weight to place upon the poor boy.

HARRY: And he had me for a father. I needed your help. I needed your advice. That's really why I'm here.

DUMBLEDORE: Your intentions were honorable, if misguided. Reversing time will change everything.

HARRY: That's what I'm hoping for.

DUMBLEDORE links his hands at his waist and approaches HARRY. He reaches into the pocket of his robes and reveals a second Time-Turner.

DUMBLEDORE: If Harry Potter is in need of a Time-Turner, then he shall have it.

He hands over the device. HARRY takes it gratefully.

HARRY: Thank you, Professor.

DUMBLEDORE: I am willing to entrust this powerful object to your care — because I have faith that you will not use corrupt — or merciless — means... to attain your end.

HARRY's expression falters. DUMBLEDORE's gaze pierces right through him. And HARRY pockets the Time-Turner.

HARRY: I should go. It really was lovely to see you, sir. I care a great deal about you.

DUMBLEDORE: And I, you.

HARRY makes to exit. He hesitates and looks back.

HARRY: Things are about to get... challenging. You can plainly see that I survive beyond my time here at Hogwarts, but that's not without a degree of sacrifice. Or, rather, a certain willingness on my part. Which you need to encourage. Do you understand?

DUMBLEDORE: No.

HARRY: You will, Professor. Bye for now.

HARRY turns. He exits.

DUMBLEDORE: Farewell, Harry Potter.