Chapter 14

I'm busy fighting an apprentice, rather tough. he bats his paws at my muzzle and I dodge easily. I manage to pin him down and am about to give him the killing bite when smallleaf calls my name. I could just kill him quickely, then run off. I look down at the young, small apprentice and sigh. I never was cut out at killing. especially when they are so young.

"Next time, young apprentice." I meow as I run to the bush.

"What small leaf?" I walk in to see the same tiny apprentice I tripped over earlier. why is she here?

"Are you treating the enemy?" I hiss and tip my tail to the apprentice.

"No!" She motions to me the pile of herbs. "this thing threw them in the lake!" she then tips her tail to the wall.

"Small leaf..... the apprentice is over there..." I point to her.

" You can see it? you can see the one?" smallleaf looks marveled and I sigh.

"If there is something you need with this apprentice, you should hold her till the battle is over." I look to her. "you know, she might attack us in the middle of a battle!" I emphasize the battle part. sometimes small leaf is so mouse brained...

"WHy do you think I called you here?" small leaf meows. oh! the apprentice smirks then tries to walk slowly out of the bush. I leap onto her back, then grab her by the scruff.

"How did you?" she screams when I put her down, sitting on her tail.

"Hush!" small leaf orders her.

"Go get grey star." I order the medicene cat. she obeys and greystar appears.

"Why does it real of thunder clan in here!?" grey star meows as if he can't see the apprentice I'm sitting on.

"Grey star.... I'm sitting on it. why can't any if you see?" I say, puzzled.

"We got what we wanted. retreat now." small leaf purrs. the small apprentice squirms and yowls in fright.

"Let me go! sandpool! help m-" I brush my tail over her snout,

"Shush! they won't hurt you if you listen. she quiets down and I move my tail.

"But what if I don't listen? huh? will they kill me? I saw you fighting. they will." she meows, half determined, half terrified. All of those things that stopped me from ever killing come back to me. I can't let them hurt her! she is so young! where are all these feelings coming from? I'm shadowclan! we kill! I can't control myself and I whisper this into her ear,

"Don't worry young one. I won't let them hurt you. I can't let them."