Chapter 5: Desert Astray

Start from the beginning

Oh thank god that was just a dream. I'm still alive.

"You're finally awake" he says in a sigh.
I focused my attention on him and finally realized his feet were tied up. I looked at mine...
I'm tied up too.
But they weren't ropes.
They were some kind of black material strap.
I groped at it, hoping there's something that can help me figure out how to open it.
"Give up. It's hopeless..." he murmured.
I looked at him as he glared at me with such scary looking eyes, "You... tell me the truth. You looked back and stopped, didn't you?"

Everything that had happen up until how I end up here suddenly flashes through my memories.
Those men in cloaks....

"Aeron, are you oka—?"
"I told you not to look back!?!" He yelled at me even before I could finish my sentence. "It was a simple instruction! Don't look back and just run! Now look what happened! Who is going to help us now?!"

I can see his eyes were filled with so much emotions.

I remember...

That scene—

Two men in cloak... carrying Aeron's unresponsive body. A small frail body of a boy...

My brother....

And there were blood spills by the doorway from the lifeless palace guards they killed.

That horrible, ugly, and mortifying scene.

I wanted to open my mouth and explain.
But surprisingly tears came gushing out of my eyes; my body began to shake violently as my heart races wildly against my chest, painfully.

Aeron's face suddenly shifts and looks at me in surprise. He purses his lips and then grit his teeth.

He turns his head away but pulls me into his arms.
"I'm sorry... I know this is not your fault. I'm not really mad at you. I'm just frustrated with myself." He says very calmly now, his hand gently stroking my head. "I know I can run faster but I can't leave you behind. I figured if we ran together, it will be easier to catch us both at the same time either way so I thought I could at least delay them and give you the headstart. It was a better chance for at least one of us to get out of that situation— it was the only way I could think of. Sorry if I made you go through that... so

—sorry for not being strong enough, Aerra"

I can feel his muscle tenses.

I shook my head and wiped my tears.
"I have my fair share of faults too. The moment my guards were missing, I should have figured it out that something wasn't right. I was careless. And I'm sorry really if I looked back..." I said, my voice felt weak.

What have we gotten ourselves into?

Even for my 18 years old self is no match in situations like this. I never had prior experience on getting kidnapped. In the end, I'm just an incapable weak little girl who can't fight back nor can I protect anyone. My powers nor Aeron's haven't awaken yet too so the only thing I can use now is my wits.

That's right...
I need to gather my wits now, more than ever.

"If only I'm stronger now. I could have protected you..." Aeron murmured, staring at his open palm before closing it into a fist. I lay a hand on that fist as he turned to look at me.

"We'll find a way out of this" I replied, trying to sound tough.

He looks at me as if studying what I really feel.
Satisfied, he nods.