Chapter 8 ~ There's always a line

Hey my lovelies :D so I'm still in the middle of exam block but I found some time to write/upload this pretty short chapter! So enjoy :)

Chapter 8

“Hey Charlie!”

“Charlie! My man”

“Hey hot stuff”

“Looking good Charlie”

“C-Dog!”

“Blake you missed a great party”

“Keen for the game?!”

A sigh of contentment left my lips, this is what I had been missing the normality of everything before a pair of manicured hands had tipped my world upside down. Shaking thoughts of that vixen from my head I moved through the corridors with relative ease as people scurried out of my way. I hadn’t asked for any of this special treatment that went along with being a quarterback, in fact I had fought so hard against it to begin with but Sonny had convinced me to just ignore it.

A few girls I walked passed, blew kisses and fluttered their eyes at me. I felt my throat constrict and my tongue glue to the top of my mouth. I probably looked constipated so I gave a quick nod and hurried away, their giggling following after me. I shook my head sadly wondering how I would ever get a serious girl if I couldn’t even talk to them. I wanted to connect my head in a rough manner to a brick wall…repeatedly.

“That was just sad dude” Sonny mourned falling into step with me, clapping me sympathetically on the back. “But seriously, it’s been over 9 years since-”

“Don’t finish that sentence!” I hissed looking around to make sure no one was listening. “We promised to never mention it again” I continued warningly

“Alright, alright. But still, it’s been over 9 years! It’s time to move on dude and start exploring all the fun girls have to offer” he waggled his eyebrows suggestively

“First of all, is sex the only thing you think of? And secondly, it turns out that if you’re a quarterback instead of a receiver, girls will throw themselves at you without the small chit chat” I bragged arrogantly. Sonny narrowed his eyes and punched me solidly in the arm.

“How girls find your silence attractive is beyond me and everyone knows that the best player on the team is the receiver” he defended his position whilst winking at a young substitute teacher. Multi-tasking, who said males couldn’t do it

“Come on man” I reached up and dragged him into home room by his collar. With his huge smile, athlete body and fair looks women didn’t stand a chance – teacher or not. I guess in that sense I was the exact opposite to my best friend of 13 years. Where he was fair and happy I was seen as the dark, ‘brooding’ one (though that was just my shyness that people had mistaken for broodiness). That made us the ultimate wingmen team at parties. ‘Girls came towards us like moths to a flame of pure sexiness’ as Sonny liked to put it.

I scowled as once again images of a cunning beauty plagued my mind. As fake as it was, my mumma raised me right and I respected the ring (and everything it stood for) that I had been paid to place on her slender finger. This meant that for the month this ‘marriage’ occurred I would have to go without any female company. I swore again at the thought of this messed up situation. She was a she-devil for sure, hidden under designer clothes and a beautiful face.

Hate was not a strong enough word to explain how I felt about her; from her beauty to her money to that disgusting group she called friends. “What’s her name?” Sonny interrupted my thoughts with a knowing smirk on his lips.