Chapter 7 ~ Deceit

IMPORTANT MESSAGE AT THE END - MAKE SURE YOU READ IT :)

oh and dedicated to ThatSmilingChick (sorry if i spelt that wrong) for being the first to comment on my last chapter

Chapter 7

I had always tolerated Eliza out of the goodness of my heart I guess you could say. I let her waltz around school like she owned the place and even allowed her presence at these parties but tonight I wasn’t afforded such luxuries. To protect me and Charlie alike, poor Eliza had to be put in her place. I glanced to my left trying to figure out what to do with Charlie, only to come against air.

“Charlie!” I hissed quietly searching the room vainly for him

“Behind the bar” was his whispered response and I breathed a sigh of relief. At least the man could think on his feet. Smoothing my dress, I slipped into the role I had played for most of my life. My mother would be so proud, I thought dryly

“Nice of you to join us Eliza” my tone flat, I took a dainty sniff of the air and let my nose wrinkle delicately “Quite a unique scent you have tonight, it quickly fills a room. Is it, au de poverty by any chance?” My emotions were on lock down; I refused to feel shame at my behavior or satisfaction at the bright shade of red her face had blended into. 

“Brilliant timing Eliza” Tatiana smoothed over the awkward silence, “The parties just ending” her tone left no room for discussion. An idea conveniently presented itself to me

“Tatiana you flatter me. Just because I’m not feeling well doesn’t mean the rest of you have to cancel your plans to visit Freddie’s beach house” Tatiana looked at me curiously. My heart was playing my rib cage like it was a Caribbean drum set. I was nervous beyond belief; it could all go downhill in a matter of seconds.

“Are you sure? We’re all desperate to reminisce with Queen Eden” Tatiana asked in her deep velvety voice, suspicion lacing her tone. As much as Tatiana would love to be considered the queen of this group she knew her place and knew better than to try and de-throne me. However if I was ever found lying to this group with a big enough scandal, the queen role would be handed to her on a silver platter.

“I’m certain” I said deliberately eyeing Eliza so everyone was aware she was to blame for my absence. Shrugging casually they all started to move about and collect their things to leave. I kept my eyes peeled for any suspicion; if I had learnt anything from this bunch it was to always stay alert. 

“Maybe next time gorgeous” Freddie murmured giving me a quick peck on the lips. I resisted the urge to dry heave at the heavy scent of alcohol and drugs he was sporting.

“My queen” Calvin teased also bending down for a kiss which I reluctantly gave him. My mind flashed back to two years ago where I would have kissed everyone in the room passionately (Tatiana twice) before leaving them, probably highly intoxicated. I shook my head free of the images and focused on Tatiana who was making her way over to me predatorily. 

“Just like old times” she observed before kissing me and leading the group out, Lawrence and Morgan drunkenly swaggering behind. I glanced at the bar quickly already feeling Charlie’s judgmental gaze.

“Let’s go” I said gruffly whipping out my blackberry to text my mother. He strode passed me, sending a disgusted look my way. I ground my teeth together, I was getting pretty sick and tired of the freaking high horse he kept riding. Maybe this figurative horse would trip and send him flying into a large pile of justice manure, I thought smugly.

We stepped out of the room and I quickly had to drag him right back in. Eliza was wandering around searching the party for someone. “That girl will be the death of us” I grumbled, peeking out of the doorway.  I glanced behind me to explain things to Charlie only to come up against air….again! “Charlie!” I hissed as I spotted him stepping out onto the balcony. “Stop doing that” I complained chasing after him. Giving me the quickest smirk, he leapt over the railing using all that football muscle a quarterback obtains, before landing perfectly on the grass below. Dusting himself off he looked at me challengingly.