⊰6⊱

💫

Acacia/Ciarán - Age 8

Jelena's parents Aleksa, or as most of the adults refer to him as Aleksander, and Goran takes us all out to the lake today. Her daddies are so sweet, bringing with them a picnic lunch to enjoy while swimming. The lake is no further than half a mile from Grandpa Keir's pack house, the trees providing a secure enclave. There are two large rocks near the furthest point of the lake, the trees becoming sparse and allowing the view of a meadow to come into view.

"Dexter!" Jelena squeals, spinning around in the shallow water and hitting the surface of the lake. The water kicks up and splashes him in the face, his laugh echoing as I giggle. He had just tried to pull her under the water playfully but got caught in the process.

Dexter screams and starts to swim away, Jelena kicking her feet from beneath her and beginning to sprint after him. He doesn't get far, the tracker grabbing his ankle and tugging him backward. She wraps her arms around his waist before they both sink underneath the water.

I stand on my tiptoes, my arms moving back and forth just under the water's surface. I stare down beneath the clear water, watching the trails my arms create while also catching glimpses of the smooth stones beneath my feet. There are many colors, the purple ones by far my favorite.

I hear giggling coming from a few yards away, lifting my gaze and letting my eyes rest on Taron and Sophia. They are both standing near the deeper part of the shallow edge, almost at the drop off point. She smiles while nodding her head in response to whatever it is Taron's managed to do to make her laugh. A grin spreads across his face before the other boy who came with Alpha Chris and Taron swims closer.

"Taron, let's swim out a bit," he nods in the direction of the drop-off, Sophia tilting her head to the side as she observes their actions.

Taron shakes his head and says, "Why don't you go by yourself Ridge?"

Ridge?

"The third in command's son, Rory, mentioned that there are fluorescent rocks at the darker depths," Ridge rolls his eyes, almost as if Taron is turning down the offer of a lifetime.

Since when did Rory swim all the way out there?

I stare out toward the end of the lake, furrowing my brows as I can't help but get the feeling that Rory's messing with the two Crusaders Pack boys...

Dexter is panting, swimming up next to me with wide eyes. When I turn my gaze away from the three near the drop-off, Dexter glances from side to side while fear lingers in his eyes. I arch a brow and ask, "What?"

He motions for me to come closer and when I lean in he whispers, "Jelena..."

"What abo-"

"Gotcha!" I hear Jelena burst through the surface closer to me. She wraps her arms around my shoulders, and I scream, falling back under the water with her. The sounds beneath the surface of the water rushes through my ears, holding my breath while I open my eyes.

Purple tendrils envelop the stones, spinning outward and around the expanse under the water. I inhale sharply, looking around as I struggle in Jelena's hold, watching as they approach me quickly.

A split second later, I don't feel her arms around me...the tendrils ebb away as if they were just a figment of my imagination. I tilt my chin up, staring at the bubbles that come from my nose while they burst once they reach the surface. The light from the sun cascades through the water's surface, a brilliant golden bathing my skin in a beautiful warmth.

It all fades away again...

...seeing through the water's surface it's that same field I'd seen before. The breeze is light while I stare at the large oak tree, the trees in the distance coming into focus. The many people are different...some I recognize as they stand in their lines. Furrowing my brows in confusion, Grandpa Keir looks older, a smile on his face while he claps his hands. There is no sound though, the silence surrounding the couple who stand beneath the oak tree. They are shaded by the sun from the leaves, their smiles one of complete happiness as they bring their noses to touch with one another.