The Capitol's Favorite Tribute

Finnick led me past all the chariots, earning me significantly more glares from the tributes. Was Finnick trying to paint a target on me back? He rushed me behind a door that led us into a private bathroom and quickly locked the it behind us so we wouldn't be disturbed.

The bathroom was large and extravagant like most things in the Capitol. Colored glass covered the floor and walls. A large mirror covered one wall and all kinds of powder and perfume lined a marble counter adjacent to the mirror. The toilet sparkled cleanly in the dim light. Nothing was ever dirty in the Capitol.

"You're going to murder me." I said bluntly. "Get me out of the way so your tributes can have all the glory? Good plan."

Finnick snorted, rolling his eyes as he jumped up on the make up counter. He glanced at his beautiful image for a moment and turned his lazy gaze back toward me.

"And what kind of precedent would I be establishing by murdering a tribute myself? The Capitol would be very angry at their favorite victor. They prefer to watch all the tributes die in a bloody fantastic mess, not picked off before they reach the arena." Finnick shrugged. "No, I'm not here to murder you, Rix. I want to know if you've thought more about what I asked you."

What he had asked me? I was puzzled for a moment before I remembered he wanted me to team up with his careers.

"Not gonna happen, Finn. Sorry." I shook me head, leaning against the glass wall. At his disappointed glance I went on. "Honestly, Finn, if you were an untrained outer lying district tribute, would you foolishly team up with careers with no hope of defending yourself if they turned? Think about what you're asking me to do here."

Finnick rubbed his face tiredly. "I'm just trying to do something your not."

"And what's that?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"Save you!" He growled, standing up. "I can see it in your eyes! I've seen that look before in tributes. The look of failure, of surrender, before you've even started! You can't give up that easily, Rixa!"

I bit my lip, staring at my friend. I could see that this was taking its toll on Finnick. He wasn't used to not getting his way. "It's not your choice, Finn." I said quietly.

He shook his head angrily, his green eyes narrowed dangerously. His expression was a bit mad. "I'm not letting you go that easily! You can't do this, not to me! Not when I have so little to get myself out of bed every morning! What am I supposed to do when you're gone? Wake up and venture the Capitol without you by my side? Have sex with all my clients and not have you to help me through the day with your jokes and understanding? How could I go on living like that? You don't know how it was like before I met you. I was so close to losing it. But I had to go on, for my parents, for Annie. And I met you and things didn't seem so bad. Here you were, just a child, desperate for money so her family could survive, to have a better life. You reminded me of myself and that's why I let you in! That little girl with hope and dreams, what happened to that little girl, Rixa? What happened to you?" He begged, shaking me as if rattling my brain would make the information sit in my mind like he wanted it to.

"She grew up in a cruel world and had to make a choice between her brother's life and her insignificant one." I said defiantly. Finnick's face softened in defeat. How easy had that been? Too easy.

"She still has a chance." He whispered. I shook my head.

"I've made my decision." I repeated. "But, if you love me like you say you do, you'll help me."

Finnick furrowed his brow, concentrating hard. "So, you won't team up with my careers?"

I shook my head, annoyed. "No, Finnick."