Chapter twenty

Olive

Blinking, I shot up from and scrambled to get to my feet but the minute I tried to stand, I was suddenly pulled back into place. My wrists and my ankles burned and I surveyed my surroundings as I blinked repeatedly, trying to clear my vision. As the burning from my wrists and ankle subsided, I realised there was a cutting sensation in my neck that was painful. Blinking again, I raised my hand to touch the cool metal around my neck in shock. As I was beginning to wake up, I realised the tightness in my neck which each movement and I felt panic surge through me.

As I slide back in my metal bed, I keep my back straight up against the wall, trying to not move my head too suddenly as I take in the room. The cell consisted of a toilet, a sink and a mirror that was clouded and dirty. There was light on my bed that looked to be a small rectangle that shone into the room. It was the only light that allowed me to see my surroundings. The bed seemed to be a metal slab and my shackles were linked to the walls surrounding me. There was one door and it was thick with huge bolts all around it with what looked like a peephole so that they could check up on me.

Slowly bringing my knees to my chest, circling my arms around them, I closed my eyes and tried to remember what had happened. I knew that I had had a confrontation with Michael and the Tremors and that Phylow had injected me with something, giving her the ability to control my movements as I watched helplessly. I touched the spot in my neck that she had forced the needle in and I felt a tiny scab there. I shivered from the cold, or maybe it was the fear that I was in the heart of the Capital and there was a good chance I was never leaving.

Say goodbye to her Michael because I doubt you'll ever see her again, Phylow had said to Michael and I felt tears well up in my eyes as I buried my face into my knees, trying to ignore the pain around my neck as it tightened slightly.

This was all my fault! I should have just communicated my points with everyone instead of needing to be the hero. Why was I like this? Why the hell did I have to throw myself into harm's way every single time?! Tears were streaming down my face as my body begins to shutter under the intensity of my emotions. I had people to live for, I had Michael and all of my friends at the Chambers and even in Seattle! I had all of them and yet I continuously throw my life away as if it were some common thing that would never break or end. Duke flashed into my mind and I felt nothing but shame. Duke had sacrificed himself to save me and I swore to Frankie, to myself, that I wouldn't waste this new chance at life. And what was the next thing I did?

How pathetic I am.

The doors suddenly opened and I looked up to see a Golik soldier standing there looking at me with a bored expression. He wore the traditional Golik attire, a dark long sleeve with Golik language on the right breast. On the sleeves, he seemed to have a ranking though I couldn't understand the shapes on the side. He had the normal Golik traits, his pale blonde hair and big blue eyes that just conveyed disinterest.

He spat something in the Golik's tongue and I blinked at him, shaking my head slightly. He said it again, frowning at me though he said it much harsher. Again, I shook my head this time tapping my ear at him. Seeming to understand the language barrier between us, he walked out of the room and another soldier appeared a moment later. Although most of the soldiers wore the same expressions and acted the same way, this Golik soldier looked at me sheepishly. His hair was cut short and he had more symbols on his sleeve and breast. He clapped his hands together and bowed his head, his eyes on me wearily. "I'm so very sorry. My partner, Aduhx doesn't see the point in learning the human languages. Anyways, my name is Stovars and we need to transport you to see the king." Stovars bowed his head again and I didn't move. I looked around to see whether or not the chains would automatically come loose or not but nothing happened.