Chapter 37

Wyatt

"Get those asses movin' boys!" Coach Castillo calls, his anxiety over state playoffs already fraying his typically calm nerves. "You expect to win State when you're runnin' like a bunch of damn sloths? Move! Move!"

It's overcast, and the clouds are so dark I fear we'll be washed away when they release their wrath upon us. Texas thunderstorms never cease to amaze, though the lightning and thunder haven't rolled in just yet.

"Your daddy's gonna kill me," Nash groans, picking up his pace. Ari, Nash and I have teamed up, running our suicide drills. "Does he want his team dead before we make it to Dallas?"

"We won't go to Dallas if you have an attitude like that," Ari grunts, somehow managing a smile as we push ourselves down the field.

"You may just follow in your daddy's coaching steps yet," I wheeze, tapping into my remaining stores of energy and unleashing my competitive side. "See you at the finish line, dickheads!" I take off, sprinting to the end zone.

Might've had a little extra motivation though. I see Colby waiting by the uprights, clad in spandex and a smile.

Hell, yeah. That's my girl.

"Baby," I rasp, bent at the waist with my hands braced on my knees to catch my breath. After a moment, I slink toward her. She eyes me warily, and I know she's reading my mind. I lunge forward, encircling her in my arms, despite her giggling in protest.

"Wyatt!" she gasps. "You're so sweaty! Ew, babe...and stinky."

"You like it," I muse, bringing my mouth to hers. She clasps her arms tightly around my neck, her body melting into mine, and I'm pretty sure I'm forgiven for my indiscretion.

"I do," she whispers.

"Gross, you guys," Mari says from behind me. "I mean, I'm glad you're back together too, but sheesh. Nobody wants to watch you eat each other's faces." She sidles up next to us, propping a hand on her hip, grinning.

Colby blushes, disentangling herself from my embrace and wrapping a chaste arm around my waist.

I throw my arm over B's shoulders. "Nice to see you, too, Mari."

"Hey Mar," Nash greets before he flops to the turf, having finally reached us. Ari follows suit, dropping to the ground next to Nash, each with their arms slung over their eyes.

"One would think the two of you are on the verge of your demise," Mari snorts.

"Took you long enough," I add. "I even had time to make out with my girlfriend while I was waiting for you jokers."

"Take five, you little babies!" Coach Castillo shouts to the team. We need it. He's been riding us hard today.

Ari and Nash slowly make their way to their feet, knowing they're no longer in imminent danger of having to run any more drills. We should be moving on to a scrimmage next, thank goodness.