Chapter 11

Colby

"I don't know what's gotten into you, but I like it," Cole breathes into my ear. He takes my lobe gently between his teeth, and I shiver.

Sweet Moses, this boy is electricity personified...

"I just felt like surprising you," I say, averting my eyes and returning to my senses. I feel a little embarrassed. Truth be told, it's kinda hard getting back in the game.

"I like this sort of surprise," he grins, pinning me against the shower wall of the girl's locker room. He seems as into this as I am. We have the room to ourselves since it's technically my gym period. Nobody was required to dress out today since student council requested help prepping for the assembly, so I thought I'd take advantage of the situation.

"Are you ever gonna let me take you on a real date?" he whispers, dropping kisses along the length of my collarbone.

There it is. I've been trying to avoid this conversation for a while now. It's nothing against him at all. In fact, I like him a lot more than I ever thought I could. Even with the whole alpha male façade he puts on.

"Are you trying to make an honest woman out of me?" I giggle. I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him, hoping to change the subject.

"It's just one date, Colby," he says against my lips. "I feel like we're sneaking around, and I don't really get why." He pulls away slightly, looking me in the eye. "If it's because you want Wyatt, all you have to do is say so, and I'll back off."

"It's not because of Wyatt," I say, perhaps too quickly. Nothing will ever be with Wyatt again. There's no point in hoping for it, or missing how it used to be. Cole's eyes are filled with concern or disappointment, I'm not sure which.

"I like you. A lot," Cole begins cautiously, twirling the end of my ponytail around his finger. "I don't know why you've been so weird about what's going on between us, but I need to know how to proceed here. You either want to try something or you don't, and I've never been a fan of being strung along."

There's a certain vulnerability in the way he's just expressed himself. Like maybe he's been hurt too, or at least is scared he could be.

"You know it's just one date before the entire school labels us C-squared," I smirk, rolling my eyes. Cole simply grins that breathtaking, heartbreaking smile that's all him.

"Would that really be so bad?" he says seductively before placing feather light kisses up the length of my neck.

Okay, it worked. I've missed this. I've desperately missed having someone to be close to. Admittedly, I wasn't thrilled with the prospect of dating Cole, but the more time I spend with him, the more I genuinely like him.

"One date," I concede, fisting his shirt with both hands. "But only if you promise to do that thing you just did."

"Whatever are you talking about, Colby?" he says, cocking his head to the side. He traces his lips over the line of my jaw up to the hollow beneath my ear where he whispers. "I think your friends are watching us."