Epilogue

Five Years Later

Sitting on the verandah I watched as the two boys ran around, squealing with delight as they chased on another. Will and Lachie squealed as they fell over and rolled over in the dirt. I winced as I realised I'd have trouble getting dirt stains out later.

"Scarlett," a voice spoke, startling me from my daydreams.

"Rin, what are you doing here? You're meant to be meeting the Elders and the other Alpha's," I spoke, my eyes wide with shock as Rin sat on the stairs beside me.

"I know, I'm leaving soon. But I thought I'd come see how you were doing first," he answered, his arm wrapping around my waist, pulling me towards him.

"I'm fine, so are the kids. You have to go otherwise the Elders will be displeased with you."

"They'll understand," Rin murmured, pressing a gentle kiss to my forehead.

Rin and I sat together in silence as Lachie and William sat on the ground picking at wild daisies. The sound of gurgled cry's made Rin chuckle as he stood from the stairs. Mumbling a thank you my eyes watched Rin as he walked over to the bassinet.

"Hello beautiful, finally awake are we?" Rin cooed as he picked up a bundle on pink blankets.

Rin smiled down at the baby as he sat down beside me again. The baby finally calming down as he whispered sweet things to her.

"She's been sleeping most of this morning," I mumbled.

"Well she was screaming most of last night," Rin replied.

Resting my head against Rin's shoulder I looked down at the baby. Fawn skin with mismatched eyes. One green and the other a brown. Haru. Our little girl.

After River I didn't think there'd be anyone else. That there could be anyone else. I thought it would only be him. Somehow though, through the late nights and the nightmares.

Three years of nightmares and pain.

Three years screaming for someone every time it stormed.

Five years of Rin holding me as I screamed and cried.

Two years having Rin as a Chosen Mate.

One year with Haru in both of our lives.

Despite all that Rin had done, my heart still ached for River. For the life we should have had and could never have. Looking at Rin I smiled weakly as he cooed at our daughter. Both of them sharing the same slightly slanted eyes.

"Rin?" I whispered, watching him carefully.

"Hmm?" Rin hummed, looking over at me with worried eyes.

"Thank you."

Rin smiled gently as he pressed a kiss to my temple.

I love you too," Rin answered, pulling Haru closer to him as we both watched the boys play.