IV. Myths and Mates

Word Count: 1,690

For Le_Roma for being dedicated to reading this jumble of words I've called a story 😂

Sitting on the cold tile floor I rubbed my eyes, my body ached from being curled up on the floor for so long. Groaning I stood from the floor which seemed to sway underneath me as I stumbled to the bathroom. Standing before the basin I was disgusted by my appearance. My skin a terra-cotta, like the brown clay with hints of rustic red in it. My eyes a soft green, like my mothers, were bright against the redness of my eyes from crying.

Biting down on my lower lip I turned the tap on, allowing water to flow into the sink. Cupping the water in my hands I washed my face, trying to help my swollen eyes. Swallowing I turned off the water, wiping my face with the face towel that was provided. Not bothering with my appearance I walked to the wardrobe, quickly changing into a pair of jeans and an old shirt. There was no point in wearing something nice if it would just get dirty while I helped the Pack with things.

"Scar, who's the new male?" A voice asked from behind me.

"Mia, what are you doing out of hospital?" I demanded as I turned around to see Mia.

Her baby cradled to her chest in some form of sling as he slept, soft snores coming from the sling making me smile softly at the sleeping pup. Mia looked exhausted, the bags under her eyes were noticeable even against her olive skin.

"Scar, it's been three days. The Pack is getting worried. I got discharged yesterday," Mia explained.

"Three days? No, I was only in the Chambers a few hours ago," I mumbled in confusion.

"No, that was on Friday afternoon. It's Monday Scar. We came to check on you and you were either asleep or crying. So everyone left you alone," she explained.

My wolf, lurked in the back of my mind, letting me know that she'd made us sleep for so long while she tried to figure this issue. She was wary of the man we called Mate. The one that the Moon Goddess appointed for us.

The one that shouldn't exist.

"Mia close the door, I need to tell you something that no one else needs to know about right now," I spoke, panic rising in my voice.

Nodding, Mia did as she was told, her black curls bouncing as she quickly closed the door before approaching me. Her brown eyes, up close were like a milky chocolate, the brown my mother could never get right with her paints.

"What's wrong Scar? Are you pregnant?" Mia asked, rambling off possible issues.

"I have a Mate," I blurted out, needing to tell someone.

Mia looked at me, her mouth dropping as her brain took in what I'd just said. Her mouth opening and closing as her brow furrowed in further confusion.

"A... A Mate? As in-"

"As in the type of Mate the Moon Goddess bestows upon werewolves? Yes. That Mate."

Mia let out a small laugh, "Those are a myth Scarlett. Mates don't exist. They were all killed when Alpha Axel lost his Mate. Scar you know the story and the legend around it," Mia pushed, frustration taking over her confusion.