XIV. Octavius

As we pulled up in front of the Pack house I frowned in confusion and worry. River and I hadn't seen any of the warriors or guards at the edge of the territory. And now, there were none to greet us. My wolf was tingling in the back of my mind, only just starting to awaken from her slumber, despite this I was still unable to call for Jonathan or Mia.

"Maybe the guards are busy at the moment?" River suggested.

"All of them, at the same time?" I asked River as I raised a brow at him.

"No, your right," River answered.

"Go inside and there's a phone book. Ring the Elders and ask for aid," I spoke trying to catch a scent of something or someone.

River didn't answer, instead he ran into the Pack house.

"You can do this. It's probably a surprise party," I whispered to myself as I started running.

"Yeah, a party," I mumbled under my breath.

Heading towards the main training field I prayed to the Gods that this wasn't going to take a bad turn. My stomach churned with horror and fear at the scene before me. My body shuddered with fear as the horror before me seeped in.

Twisted limbs and body's lying over one another. The green grass ran red with blood. My heart shattered into pieces as I realized something important. Their clothes. It was a sea of black clothes from warriors and guards and colored clothes from ordinary pack members. Men, women and children. Most of them were here in this field.

Collapsing to my knees I let out a strangled cry that was mingled with a howl of pain. Squeezing my eyes closed I tried to forget the sight before me. Despite my eyes being closed I couldn't stop seeing my pack members bodies. The field was almost silent, if it wasn't for the sounds of my sobs. Standing up on legs of jelly I wiped the tears away with the back of my hand.

"Scarlett? What happened?" River asked as he came to a halt beside me.

My stomach churned with unease as my wolf whimpered in the back of my mind.

"We were attacked. I shouldn't have left," I whispered, unable to take my eyes away from the field.

"I've called the Elders, they'll send some warriors here. Let's go inside," River whispered, wrapping an arm around my waist.

"No, I need to... I have to start the Burning's," I mumbled, my body going numb as my wolf howled in pain in my ears.

"Let's get the Pack book so that we can list who's here," River answered, pulling me towards the Pack house.

"Okay."

Walking towards the Pack house I tried to hold back my wolf, tried to block out her howls of pain. The calls for her Pack, the ones she was in charge of. The family that we'd lost in one day. My wolf continued howling in my head, begging for some kind of answer from someone.

"It hurts," I whispered, not focusing on anything in particular as River lead me back to the house.

"I know, I can feel it too," River whispered, his arm tightening around my waist.

Looking up at River through blurry eyes I noticed that he held his head high as he lead us back to the house. I couldn't do that though. Hold my head high the way he did. I felt like I'd failed my Pack by leaving for such selfish reasons.

"Hey, we'll find out who did this and the Elder's will punish them," River spoke gently as he pressed a gentle kiss to my forehead.

"How do you do it?" I asked as we walked inside.

Familiar smells invaded my nostrils as I was lead to the kitchen. Lavender flowers that sat on the kitchen window sill, coffee and pine floated throughout the air. In between the smells of home was the familiar scents of my Pack. The same Pack I'd just lost.

"I just remember what my father always told me," River answered as he walked around the kitchen, opening the cupboards until he found the mugs.

"And that was?"

"No matter what, hold your head high like the Alpha you are. No matter what happens you have to be strong," he answered, smiling fondly at the memory as he started making drinks.

"And look where that got him," a voice snickered.

Looking up from the kitchen table my heart dropped, my eyes widening in fear.

"Octavius, you aren't welcomed here," River spoke, his voice firm and full of authority.

"Tch... I couldn't care less if I was welcomed. I've come for the Luna and her alone," Octavius answered a sly smirk stretching across his face.

"You're the one who killed them," I spoke as realisation hit me square in the face.

"I had help of course. But they were in my way. They refused to give up the location of their Luna, so they paid the price," he answered, smirking with victory.

"You son of a bitch!" I screamed.

Octavius clicked his toy he, wagging his finger as he leaned against the entry to the kitchen.

"You can't have her Octavius," River spoke, his hand gripping mine as he pulled me behind him.

"I always get what I want. Even you know that River."

"Not this time. The Mani, God of the Moon declared us Mates," River growled, anger was starting to radiate off of him.

"And? That means nothing to me," Octavius laughed, his eyes watching me.

"Leave Octavius, the Elders have already sent Warriors. They'll be here any minute now," I spoke, trying to be brave.

If this ended in a fight I'd have to rely on River. Despite all of my training I wasn't a good fighter. It was why I'd had so many warriors, as a precaution. But even that seemed to have back fired.

"I will have her for a Mate. Even if it means killing you," Octavius growled at River. His dark eyes glowing as his canines grew longer.

"Scarlett, listen to me," River whispered as he started backing towards the backdoor. "In a few seconds I'm going to need you to run okay? Go to the car and enter someone else's territory. Anyone's. As long as you get away from here. Understood?" River whispered, keeping his eyes focused on Octavius.

"Riv-"

"Don't argue my Luna, just do it okay?" River butted in, his eyes looking down at me for a brief moment.

"Okay," I whispered, nodding my head in understanding.

"Good, I love you both," River whispered, giving me a crooked smile as he squeezed my hand.

"I love you too."

"Run," River shouted, pushing me towards the back door as he lunged at Octavius.