II. Luna

Word Count: 1,834

As a Luna, I'd never been patient. It was something I lacked and something my father use to get angry at me about.

"As a leader, you must be patient. If you need to make a choice that will affect the pack, it cannot be a rash one. You must be patient and weigh the outcomes of both effects. Do you understand, Scar?" My father would say to me.

Each time I would nod and pray to Goddess for the lesson to end already. I understood why my father told me this but at the time, being a pup who didn't really care for anything other than playing with the others. But, every time he drilled each and every lesson into me until I could repeat back every word to him. It was a boring exercise but I understood why he did it. I benefited from it in many ways but it always bored me to death.

"Luna," a voice snapped me from my thoughts.

Looking up from the garden bed I saw Aaron standing a meter away from me. His hair seeming to glow almost like a halo making his dark eyes seem lighter than they were. He wore the leather uniform that was appointed to all guards, a large spear strapped to his back.

"Is something wrong?" I asked, abandoning my mothers flowers that had been ruined in the storm last night.

"Mia is about to have her pup as is requesting your presence to be there," he answered in a dry tone.

"Of course, I'll quickly change and then go to her."

Aaron nodded once more marching off, his feet hardly making a sound on the uneven ground. Walking into the Pack house I jogged up the stairs and into my room. Stripping off my dirtied clothes I opted for a plain blue dress and black slip ons before leaving again. The walk to the Pack doctors was quick, it was a large building made of wooden logs that had been worn down through years of erosion and age. Of course, large windows let the sunshine soak through. Magic cast by Elves protected most buildings and windows from being damaged. Although there was the odd Occassion when it didn't protect the buildings but that was hardly ever.

Entering the large building was a stark difference compared to the outside. The walls and roof were white and modern looking, nodding to the receptionist I walked through the building, following the purple baby feet that lead to the maternity area of the building.

"Luna, Mia' is in room 308," a lady, Ruby, said before I had a chance to ask.

"Thank you Ruby," I spoke as I made my way to Mia' room.

Upon entering the room I was hit with a wave of smells, sweat, tears and blood. All of them making me feel uncomfortable, it was a reminder of something I didn't have yet. Pushing aside the envious monster growing inside me, I forced a smile and approached Mia. Her black hair was matted and sticking to her forehead, her normally tanned skin was pale making her look sick and ghostly.

"Scar, you came," Mia spoke, her voice hoarse and dry.

"Of course I came. Couldn't miss this terror coming into the world," I teased.

Poor Mia had had a hard pregnancy, especially having to endure it alone. Her Chosen had died early in her pregnancy due to an unknown disease, leaving her alone with the burden of having to raise the pup by herself.

"I wish Will was here with me," Mia whispered, her eyes classing over with unshed tears.

Sitting beside her I smiled gently, holding her small hand in my own. In this moment the ugly envy monster hid its face, instead the swirl of pride and love for my oldest friend.

"How much longer till you have to push?" I asked.

"Three centimetres," Mia groaned as another contraction rolled through her body.