VI. Elves

Word Count: 1,122

"How exactly did you manage to get us into Elf territory?" River demanded.

"I misread the map," I hissed, my eyes focusing on the arrows that were currently pointed at us.

"How do you misread a map?" River growled, he was frustrated and I didn't blame him.

My wolf whimpered, this was my fault that we were in this situation. I hadn't been riding in months and in all honesty I wasn't good at reading maps, so I wasn't surprised that this had happened. Biting my lower lip I looked at the Elves standing before us.

They were tall and stood with their heads held high, the air around them radiating with pride and a feeling of 'I'm better than you'. Elves were better than most creatures, purely due to the fact that they aged slowly and were known for being one of the best fighters. That was why neither of us were planning on making any rash moves at this moment. Glancing over at River our eyes met, this wasn't what I wanted.

As an Elf came forward my heart almost stopped at the sight of the Elf. She was tall and breath-taking. Despite her skin being a pale shade of pink, her hair reminded me of Cherry Blossom trees, her hair, curling around the branches that crowned her the top of her head. As she stood in front before me a pair of large silver handcuffs were produced and immediately placed on my wrists. Another Elf came forward, doing the exact same thing for River. Silver cuffs to suppress our abilities and to make it easier to punish us.

"Follow," the first Elf spoke. Her voice sounded muddled, most Elves spoke numerous languages but most spoke their origin language which was from the beginning of our races. When the Gods and Goddess' walked among our world with us. According to legends the Elves origin language, Pristinus, was the same language that the Gods spoke. But those were just legends.

"It's okay, we'll figure this out," I whispered, trying to reassure myself.

"Can you even speak the language?" River whispered, his eyes trained on the back of an Elf's head.

"Kind of. It wasn't my strong suit," I mumbled.

"Can't read a map, can't speak Pristinus. Let me guess, you also can't fight?" River snarled.

"I can fight," I lied, my cheeks red with anger.

"Sure you can. When we, no, if we get to see their King, I'll talk to him. At least one of us won't insult him while we try to apologise for trespassing," River's voice was harsh, I understood his anger. I did, but now wasn't the time or place.

Biting my lower lip, I followed the Elves' as they led as through the woods. The trees grew taller and closer together, quickly blocking out all sunlight as we approached a large bridge made of white marble. The design of it was simple but in it's own way, beautiful. Unfortunately, the end of the bridge led to nowhere, frowning in confusion I looked at the Elves' as they pulled at the chains. Yelping, I quickly followed, River following beside me silently, a scowl across his face as we started to cross the bridge. As we walked, I looked at River in confusion.

"At the end of the bridge is a portal, we cross it and enter into a realm where Faeries, Elves, Druids and other creatures live. The only way in or out is through these portals and they're very hard to find. They move almost every day, the crossing along with it," River explained, as he rolled his eyes.

~~•~~•~~•~~•~~

Once we'd crossed the portal, into the realm of the Fey we didn't see much before being thrown into the Chambers. Groaning I paced my cell, we didn't need the silver cuffs in here, our wolves were suppressed making me restless.

"Stop pacing, it's annoying," River spoke, his voice full of annoyance.

Glaring at River as he sat on the single bed that was in here. Walking over to him I kicked his feet off the bed.

"What?" he demanded.

"Your feet. Move them," I growled.

Rolling his eyes River moved his feet off the bed, smirking at him I laid down on the bed. Grimacing at the feeling of the hard bed beneath me but I chose to ignore it.

"Move over," River mumbled.

Frowning I opened my mouth to respond to him, instead he laid beside me, pushing me to the edge of the bed.

"Are you comfortable?" I asked, glaring at River.

"Well, the mattress is a bit stiff but other than that. Yeah I'm comfy," River answered with a smirk.

Rolling my eyes I turned on my side trying to ignore the man beside me. A chuckle came from behind me as an arm wrapped loosely around my waist.

"Remove your hand or I'll remove it for you," I growled.

Despite my growl I couldn't help the heat rushing to my cheeks or the heat that was growing in my core. River's fingers brushed along the skin that was exposed on my hip, tracing gentle patterns. Rolling over, I looked at River my eyes meeting his in the dark light. Even though there was little light, I couldn't help but take in the small details on River's face. The light freckles on his cheeks, the ones where you had to be milimetres away to notice them. The blue of his eyes had a hint of green in them that I hadn't noticed, his lips were full and pale pink. Swallowing I tried to ignore my heart as the beating grew louder.

"What's on your mind right now?" River's voice was soft despite the situation we were in.

"I'm worried about meeting the Elf King, there are rumours that he's cruel and others saying he's twisted and sadistic. I'm worried," I whispered, frowning.

"Whatever happens, we'll figure it out. Together. For now, sleep," River whispered.

"I know this sounds stupid-"

"I'm sure whatever it is, it isn't stupid."

Smiling weakly I looked away from River's eyes. The eyes that held so much confidence within them, the ones that were so sure of themselves.

"Can you tell me a story?" I asked, feeling childish for asking for it.

River chuckled, "Of course."

"Thank you," I mumbled, my eyes dropping closed as the past few days started to effect me.

"Once, a man loved a Goddess-," River's voice drifted away from my ears as I started falling asleep. My heart pounding away in its cage as the feeling of River's arm tightened around my waist, pulling me closer to him. Too tired to disagree, I let him. Shivering, I snuggled closer to River, trying to stay warm.

"Goodnight, Luna," River whispered, a soft kiss being pressed to the top of my head.

"Night," I mumbled.

~~•~~•~~•~~•~~

Hey!

🐺 What does everyone think of the new cover?

🐺 What do you guys think is going to happen next?

Remember you can find me on Twitter and Tumblr at EwFilthyMundane

Updates are every Monday and Thursday

Love,

Ellie 🦊