20

"I swear you make me feel an emotion beyond love

"I swear you make me feel an emotion beyond love.."

-

"Are we gonna meet everyone else at the park? It's been nearly an hour already," Wren hums.

Her and Eddie moved to the backseat, and were now just enjoying each other's company. For a while now, they had just been talking about life. From insecurity to motivation.

Her New Edition CD plays lightly.

Eddie shrugs his shoulders, "I don't really know. I'm kind of having fun with just us two. Plus– don't hate me for saying this, but...I...I just don't really like the idea of you and Bill being in the same vicinity."

Wren frowns and shifts to look at him.

"Eddie, you know I don't feel that way for him anymore. I would never double cross you like that," She reassures him.

"No, yeah, I know that— of course I know that, Bee. I just meant...jeez, I don't even know what I meant. I'm sorry. Maybe...maybe I just don't trust Bill. What if he tries to make a move," he trails nervously. "He's my friend, but...I-I don't know..."

Wren wraps her hand in his, and lightly kisses his cheek.

"We don't have to go. I'd rather it just be us two today, anyway," she smiles. "You really shouldn't be so insecure though. Bill wouldn't do that, and I wouldn't let him."

Eddie nods in response, smiling lightly.

"Have you ever stayed out past the town curfew?" Wren questions softly, leaning her head against Eddie's shoulder.

"No. No way. Not with all those missing kids...plus, my mom would kill me if I ever broke curfew. She'd probably call the cops or something," he replies.

He wouldn't break curfew after the encounter he had recently, anyway.

"Wanna walk around town with me tonight?" She asks with a devious smile.

His eyes widen, "What? No! That's crazy, Bee. We can't do that! We..we could get into a lot of trouble if we got caught! Did you not just hear a thing I said about my mom?"

"You could sneak out! I promise nothing bad will happen to us. Please? It'll be a lot of fun," she bargains.

"You want me to sneak out?!" Eddie stammers.

Suddenly, his hands are unzipping his fannypack and desperately fumbling to locate his inhaler. He can't decide whether to listen to his mom's voice in the back of his head, or to Wren's voice in front of his face.

"C'mon, honey. It'll be fun!" She promises.

You hear that? That's the sound of Eddie's heart bursting into a million flames.