4

"He said something about falling in love, or some shit like that

"He said something about falling in love, or some shit like that."

-

The next day, as planned, Bill and Wren meet at the local diner.

He seems especially jittery the entire time, but actually seems to enjoy his time with Wren. She laughs at most of the jokes he tells, and even tells him a few of her own.

She's so confident.

I guess to Bill, that is the most attractive thing about her.

"W-Why couldn't t-the bicycle stand on its own?"

"Why?"

"B-Because it was too t-tired."

Wren nearly spits her shake out. Bill's body shakes with laughter as he watches her take napkins and press them to her mouth, to avoid milkshake flying everywhere.

Wren takes a few breathes, "jeez, I didn't know you were such a comedian, Denbrough!"

Their laughter subsides, and Bill finds himself becoming mesmerized by the girl's eyes. He didn't realize he was so infatuated with her until now.

Wren silently stares back into his eyes.

She debates whether or not to lean in a little. What if it's too soon? It definitely is, but still, it feels like it's the right time. Her hearts beating fast, and her palms feel like they're getting sweaty.

Without a further thought, Wren sweeps in and plants a kiss against Bill's lips.

She expects the worst, but is surprised to find that Bill never pulls away. In fact, he kisses back with his eyes shut tightly. Wren takes this opportunity to really enjoy the feeling of his lips on hers.

They're soft, and still taste like his milkshake.

Finally though, the two pull away.

Wren smiles a little, and Bill smiles back. Then, they continue talking as if it never happened. And as much as she hates to admit, nothing about that kiss felt right.

Yes— it felt good. It just didn't feel true. It wasn't what she had imagined in her head. Her heart didn't skip a beat when their lips touched, her stomach didn't even explode with butterflies. Did they do it wrong? No, no. That couldn't be it. It's probably just because it was too soon.

It was too soon.

Wren continues to tell herself.

"Are you a-and H-Henry Bowers friends?" Bill questions casually.

"No," Wren snorts, "never! I'm just forced to associate with him because of my popularity rank. It's the worst." Bill chuckles a little and shakes his head.