[ 20 ] Careless Cupid

Song: Barcelona - Ed Sheeran

•••

Trust me when I say I tried my best to play in it off. "Kayla? Who's that?" I asked putting on a Russian accent for some reason, praying that Clara and River won't recognise me.

That was the one moment when I wanted to pull my mums hair out. She shoots me an odd look through the camera, "Honey, have you been taking drugs? Your name's Kayla."

I stayed silent, contorting my face into the most weirdest position in a poor attempt to look different. My mum rolled her eyes, taking the opportunity to look at the man beside her. River.

The moment I saw her put on the Charming mum face, I knew I was screwed. "Who's this dashing fellow?" She asked me, leaning towards River.

Dashing? Did people still use that word? And how did she expect me to know what could be a random person at the Plaza.

Rivers grinned at me mischievously before turning to my mum. "Oh, I'm River Romano."

My mum redeemed my respect for her when she didn't recognise who he was and I revelled in the momentarily pissed off expression on his face.

My mum giggled, lightly touching his arm. "A handsome name for a handsome man."

I wanted to die.

River laughed before grinning deviously at the camera on her phone. My mum furrowed her eyebrows, "How old are you, by the way?"

Was my mother actually going to hit of someone twenty years younger than her? God, I hoped not. I couldn't really see what Clara was doing, for the camera was well away from her. Judging by River's face, he was beginning to realise how abnormal everyone was. "Uh, 24?"

My mum grabbed my dad's hand excitedly, as worry seeps through me at whatever was passing through that head of hers. "Oh my gosh! You know what? I have a daughter, that's a similar age to you. She's pretty, smart and has an amazing body?" My mother winked at him. "I know that that's what matters nowadays..."

I couldn't bear it. I covered my front camera with my finger as I saw my mum thrust my phone to River. Remembering that I'm on a balcony, I ducked down and squatted on the floor.

River had the audacity to tut at me as mum unfortunately continued, "Mckayla, don't be stupid. Here I am helping to get you in a relationship for the first time and you're being as childish as to hide? Now let us see your face."

When my dad joined in the bandwagon, I had no choice but to slowly move my finger away from the camera, revealing my ugly ass face.