[ 2 ] Dress to Unimpress

Song: Dreams - Alex Ross, Dakota

•••

Lots of people would tell you that it's risky to accept a job. From a stranger. On the streets.

They're probably right.

Yet I was young and didn't really give a crap about anything apart from fun, money and well, chocolate.

But my family did.

I winced as my mum grabbed my legs, stopping me from moving whilst my dad sobbed into my shoulder. Was there any way that my family could be more melodramatic?

My younger brother pulled out his phone and started recording as I discreetly gave him the middle finger, careful not to let my parent see. If anybody didn't know what sibling rivalry was, that would have been the perfect example.

Don't worry, I really wasn't a mean older sister when you compared it to him deciding to give me an awful haircut whilst I was sleeping. Without my permission. Oh, and I'm talking only a year ago.

"Please Kayla! Don't leave?" My mum begged, tacking me to the floor. I took a quick look at the time whilst shaking my dad off my leg. I knew that parents were clingy but I was beginning to think that they were taking the word to a whole new level. "America's such a stretch from Britain! How will we see you?"

"Your mum is right, Kay. We've spent so many years nurturing you and watching you bloom. You can't just leave us!" My dad chipped in. At this rate, he was going to make me look like a freaking flower.

I cleared my throat, slipping into the comforting-daughter mode. "Mum, dad, thank you for always being there for me and you've been the most awesome parents," I paused for dramatic effect. "But if I'm being true, then I think it's time that I become more independent."

Hell yeah, I thought to myself. I'd been living in this house since I was born. When it was time to go to University, my family thought it would be a great idea to move to Cambridge with me. The result? Spending the whole of freshers week, drinking Diet Coke at the club with my dad. So much fun.

Not.

Either way, I loved them to bits and knew I'd miss them. But my trip to Los Angeles would be the perfect opportunity to get a taste of the word independence.

My mother sniffed before wiping a tear from the corner of her eye. "My baby's right. You know what? Go and live your dreams. We'll always be with you!"

I scratched the back of my ear before nodding as passionately as I could. And then? Well, I rushed as fast as I could to the High Street before grabbing a taxi, if I didn't want to miss the damn flight.

-xXx-

I sat back on the plane, trying not to be too overwhelmed with the business class ticket. When I'd first seen my seat, I was very well tempted to roll around on the floor with the amount of leg room I had. It wasn't like my legs were long or anything but it was a good feeling to be able to stretch my feet during the journey.