Chapter XXIII: New 'Friends'

Lilith had gone shopping down in Vale with Diana. Leaving me all alone at lunch to think a bit for a change, Salem's been pressuring me the past few days to get another attack on Beacon going... but to be honest I'm all out of ideas, for now. Everything's been going downhill since the alleged 'White Fang' raid on a night of joy, god it only got even better, racism against Faunus students only increased, to nearly uncontrollably levels. To which Ozpin had to hold a day for conference with the while school about a goddamn history lesson about the Faunus and their way of life, which frankly I don't give a fuck about.

Many students began to leave, mostly Faunus but also other human students paranoid of another White Fang raid on Beacon campus. The previous attack which took place in a heavily guarded event alarmed even Ironwood which he said as such in a recent newsreel. The smell of victory filled the air around me as I ate my lunch happily, though I was alone on my table I practically enjoyed the space. Finally a little time for me to relax in pea-

Yang: Hey buddy! What's up?

Oh no...

... The blonde I knew as Yang, who was one of Lilith's friends sat right down beside me, followed by the rest of her team, her sister beside me and the two others, Blake and Weiss in front. Team RWBY. Never talked to them that much. but I've seen Lilith and Diana talking to them once in a while.

Me: Hey, what's up?

Ruby: Ruby Rose, of Team RWBY. And you are?

Me: Ace, of Team ACDL.

Ruby: Oh I know you, You're the one who can turn himself to dust.

Me: Yup, that's me. I've met you before, Ruby.

Now please go away.

Yang: We saw you sitting all alone and decided to give you some company.

Ruby: We've thought you've never really gotten a proper welcome from Beacon. Y'know, you always hang out by yourself, must be really boring.

Blake: I told you someone appreciated my novels, he wasn't made up like you said he was Yang!

Yang: I told you I'd believe you when I saw him, and now I do!... And my my, is he eye-candy or what?

I sighed, before pulling my hoodie over my head. Pulling the 'shy kid who doesn't want attention' act.

Blake: Hey, Ace what's up with that? You seemed a lot more social back then, than you do now.

Me: I-I'm just nervous, y'know stress, Festival, life... my good friend Caleb...

Weiss: Oh, him. We're really sorry about him. We also wanted to tell you that.

Me: That's okay, it's great to know that people care. Unlike my parents...

I said, falsely broken-hearted at my pseudo-life. Most girls are such suckers for a good kid with bad parents.

Ruby: Hey, maybe we could cheer you up. We've got a lot of cool boardgames to play back at our dorm. With your team gone, maybe we could spice up the mood with a game of 'Remnant'

Yang: Great idea sis!

Well, that backfired...

Me: Yayyyyy... Let's do this...

I said, halfheartedly. Weiss stood up and began to walk back to the dorm, motioning back to the four of us still at the table to follow.

Weiss: Come on then, but just so you know Ace. I'm an 'Ace' at this game, and it requires great strategic placement and a vast knowledge of Military tactics.

She said with a boasting smile, that tone of overconfidence... The one thing that can befall even the strongest of opponents... pride.

Me: Looks like your knowledge of Military tactics vastly outweighs your knowledge of decent puns.

I said with my significant smugness evident within my voice. Oh shit! That face! That's one for the goddamn books right there!

Yang: Ohhh! Ha ha ha! Burn!