Epilogue: Happy Birthday

Lillie

August 5th, 2010; 3:46 AM

I was soaring through the sky on a magic carpet, and the wind was whipping my face, sending my hair flying in tendrils behind my head. I looked around, not scared at all, staring into the huge night time sky. The moon was so huge in the sky; it looked as if I could reach out and skim my fingers against it. Just when the venture couldn’t get any better, the magic carpet dived into a steep decline. Into a stream we fell, I was instantly soaked and…………..

My eyes blinked open with a start as they adjusted to the darkness of my room; just another loopy dream. I flipped over cautiously, but I as I shifted, I felt something weird.

I felt……wet.

I sat up in bed, lifting my blanket. I clamped in back down immediately, my mouth forming in an ‘o’. I touched my belly, but I wasn’t feeling any cramps. Could it possibly be time?

I looked to Craig instantly, listening to his irregular snoring. I think it’s TIME!

“Craig? Craig, wake up!” I shook him urgently, rubbing his bare back.

“Hmm,” he mumbled, not moving.

“The bed’s wet—,” I didn’t finish.

He turned over toward me, his eyes still shut. “I’ll clean it tomorrow,” he mumbled, sighing.

I bit my bottom lip. “No, I mean— I think my water broke,” I admitted quietly. His eyes instantly cracked open as he scrambled to sit up. “Your WHAT?!” He breathed.

I whipped the sheets aside, revealing my soaked shorts and the expanding stain on the bed. His eyes bulged as reality smacked him silly. His hands flew to my waist. “How are you feeling, any contractions??” He asked worriedly. I shook my head ‘no.’

It was so weird. Number one, Craig was acting more frantic than me. I felt strangely at ease, as if I knew my water would break at this very moment. But the ‘no pain’ factor was scaring me, cause if it wasn’t happening now, it was sure to come eventually, and unannounced. As I uncomfortably slid my wet self out of bed, Craig was already shuffling around the room, yanking out the ‘away’ bags we had packed weeks ago.

I changed into some sweats and pulled my coat on as Craig ushered me downstairs, both our bags slung on his two shoulders. His shirt was yet to be pulled over himself as it hung around his neck. Him freaking out was so oxymoric to my surreal calmness.

“Craig, my mom,” I reminded him before he could unlock the front door. He smacked his forehead. “Stay right here, I’ll be right back,” he yelled, hoping back up the stairs by two’s, finally yanking that shirt over his shoulders.

*

Craig

How could I forget her mother?! Ugh, nice job Craig! I ran down the upstairs hall, turning right to find the guest room. Ms. Gerrand lay peacefully in bed, with a sleeping mask over her eyes.

“Ms. Gerrand, wake up!!!!” I said loudly, flipping her lights on. She sat up, grimacing at me. Except this time, her stare didn’t scare me enough. My pregnant girlfriend is on the way to giving birth, I have bigger to things to fear!

“You better have a damn good reas—,” she started, but I didn’t have the time for her snapping!

I grabbed her arm, helping her out of bed. “Lillie’s water broke!!!” I pleaded with her. Her face softened immediately as she hastened her step behind me. She had no time to change as she secured her robe around her waist, following me down the steps.