Chapter 28: Keep Trying

Shai

I woke up to a loud rapping at the door. My eyes cracked open as hazy sunlight filtered in from the guest room window. My head is hurting like sh*t. Remind me not to fall into Charlie’s trap when she dares me to have 6 shots back to back, please.

I peeled the comforter off me slowly, moving as gently as I can, the world looks like it’s moving in slow motion. I hate hang-overs.

Charlie’s condo is almost identical to…his condo. Reminds me of him just a little too much. I climbed down the steps, pausing in the foyer a little, my head is spinning. I’m gonna kill Charlie when she gets home from work. If you haven’t already guessed, yes, I’m still crashing with Charlie. I strategically made sure I hopped over to ‘his’ condo to grab some of my things and my car while he wasn’t home. Call me stubborn if you please, cause he is too. So if I’m wrong, so is he.

My thoughts got interrupted by another loud knock at the door. It seemed to scramble my neurons and bring this crazy ringing to my head, damn.

“Hold on, I’m coming, damn!” I yelled, crossing the foyer and peeking through the peep hole. It was..surprisingly, Jacob. And no Samara attached to his hip. That’s even weirder. I instantly felt bad for bursting like that, that’s not even like me.

I unlocked the door, smiling shyly. “Sorry about that, hangover.” I managed, showing him inside. “Don’t worry about it.” He smiled, walking in. Alrighty, so what does he want?

He sat in the living room, on Charlie’s ‘nice’ couch. Who cares? Psh, she won’t notice. I shuffled into the kitchen, being the nice hostess that I am. “Would you like something to drink?” I asked. Southern hospitality was kicking in, I couldn’t help it. “No, no, I’m actually gonna leave in a few, I just needed to speak to you really quick.” He shook his head, those curls moving in unison.

He protested, so I put the glass down, walking into the living room. “Alright, so what’s up?” I asked, plopping on the loveseat opposite him. “2 things, then I gotta jet, Samara has something planned?…I don’t even know!” It just dawned on me that it’s mid April. They have a wedding going on in less than a month. Month and a half?

“That’s right, you guys are hitching the knot in June.” I smiled. “How’s that working out?” I chuckled as his face twisted up. “Hard.” He chuckled. “Samara thinks money falls out of the sky, but I’m not even mad, I want it to be special for her.” Jacob shurgged, his cheeks ver flushing. How cute. He and Samara always seemed to this forever going ‘puppy love’. It’s like they’re never tired of each other.

“That’s actually why I came over here.” He pulled out a little book from inside in coat. It looked beat up, like he had for a long while. “It’s about..well..my vows.” He said embarassingly, thumbing through the book.

“Since you’re such a big shot writer, I wanted to know if you could read this poem I got here, tell me if it’s good?” He asked expectantly, handing me the book. “Aw Jacob, shut up. I am not a big shot writer..” I giggled, reading his poem. I didn’t know Jacob wrote, it was beautiful. I covered my mouth, hiding my giant smile.

“Jacob!” I gasped. “What, too cheesy? Yeah I figured that..” He said, rubbing the back of his head. “No silly, it’s amazing!” I said, staring at it. He perked up. “You didn’t have to ask me to read this, it’s perfect, Mara will love it!”

He cocked his head, trying to stifile a smile. “You think so? I just want her to know how I really feel about her—” I interrupted him. “And this poem will do the job.” I assured him. “And you call me the writer? I think you were talking about yourself.” I flattered him as he chuckled.