Chapter 1: New Place

Holding the newspaper in my hand, I looked at the number on the door. This is it, 0106.

It was a nice little area, all the homes were condominiums. The little community was secluded on a bluff; the beach to the west, the city to the east.

I rang the door bell, reading the ad in the newspaper over again.

“Condominium. Looking for roommate, male/female, rent price can be bargained…”

Exactly what I’m looking for. Hopefully my stories can cover the rent, I really need a place to stay. I rang the bell one more time, a little anxious. I hope no one has taken the offer yet.

“Coming!” I heard a muffled voice yell, as feet thudded down the steps. Click. The lock was turned and the door opened. I must’ve looked like a fool, standing on a strangers patio, holding a newspaper. But I did feel foolish, it was a guy! Not once did I consider whether it was a male or female looking for a roomie. I just assumed.

“Hello? Can I help you?” The stranger asked, giving me a worried expression. My anxiety increased; he was gorgeous. He had brown, radiant skin. Beautiful almond shaped eyes…they looked asiatic. He had a lot of hair for a guy too. So much, that two long Native American style braids sat on shoulders. All together, he was a site to see.

His face scrunched into confusion, I snapped out of my little trance. I couldn’t let this chance go by, just ‘cause he’s a guy; I need a place. “Oh, sorry. Yeah, I’m here about this ad..?” I showed him, pointing at the newspaper. “Oh yeah, come on in.” he pushed the door farther back as I walked in timidly.

Condos may look small on the outside, but the interior of this particular one was huge! It was carpeted in a nice creme color, it was surprisingly pretty clean. The walls of the front hall was painted in cheery gold color. There, before me, stood the stairs; the rooms must be on the second floor. Left of the stairs led to the living room area.

“Have a seat.” He motioned for me to sit on the black sectional couch in the living room. From there, the kitchen was in plain site. Small and simple, but you could tell all the appliances were brand new. There was a small bar style counter too. And a dainty dining area not to far from the kitchen. I looked around the living room, in contrast to the gold, it was dreary blue-grey color, but it worked with his furniture. There was a tall window to my right, from the ceiling to the floor almost. Who ever did the interior design was amazing!

“Would you like something?” My attention snapped back into reality from my thoughts. I tend to drift off easily. He was in the kitchen, grabbing two cups. “Oh no, I’m fine.” I said shyly, looking around. He poured two cups of iced tea anyways. I smiled as he walked over, handing me a cup. He took a sip and finally spoke.

“Okay, so what’s your price?” He asked. I looked at him queerly. Isn’t he supposed to give me a price? He continued. “Your the first person to come check out my offer, it’s been out for weeks. I was going to take it down..”

Well this is my chance to go cheap! I mean, I’m his only resort. “$250?” I asked, not making eye contact with him. I’m so shy at times. I looked up eventually, to find him smiling. “For someone as gorgeous as you, I’ll give it to you for $200 a month, deal?” His smile showed his teeth, it was breathtaking. I flushed, pushing my glasses up the bridge of my nose. I’m sure he was just being charming, trying to make things comfortable. My heart beat faster anyways.

“Rayson Lavigne.” He stood up, extending his hand to me. “Shai Asher.” I smiled, grasping his hand. “Unique name, I like it.” He said, more to himself then to me.

There he goes again. If he’s the type that thinks he can win girls over with nice words, then he can try else where, I’m not ready for all that again, not with what I’ve been through.