Chapter 18: Everyone

Cassie : Roshon

It was a dreary January day, chilly as can be. Instead being in bed like she wanted to be, Cassie was wandering the aisles of Office Max. Eventually she found her key aisle. Standing in front of the tall shelf, she scanned through the different types of photoshop.

“Charlie has me working like a dog!” She grumbled to herself as she pulled out cs5. Examining the box, she shrugged, tucking it under her arm. For some reason, Charlie had been dumping edit after edit on Cassie. So much that Cassie needed new software to keep up with the demand.

She shuffled along through the store, trying to blow off time really. She had nothing to do but make edits, and well…she didn’t want to get to that just yet.

Just then her phone buzzed. She pulled it out, smiling as she saw Trey’s picture come upon her screen. The text read “baby roc got into my steak marinade >:/”. He then proceeded to send a picture of baby roc licking his tainted orange paws.

Cassie sent a brief “sounds like a personal problem.” She laughed to herself as she tucked her phone away. She knew he hated when she did that. Trey was such a goofy kid, even goofier when they were together. Together. Is that why Charlie’s been so hard on Cassie?

Cassie sighed as she answered her own question. She knew that had to be it. Ever since that time they had planned Craig’s party at the mall, Charlie had been acting different. Almost like she despised the fact that her and Trey had gotten close. Charlie is cool and all, but honestly, all this wasn’t Cassie’s fault. All Cassie did was make a new guy friend; Charlie on the other hand let that juice her insecurities up, making her lash out.

The thought of it got Cassie mad. Trey was a good guy, really. He may be young, so maybe he screwed up once. But he’s man enough to realize this and grow from it. Hopefully, the dinner date Cassie advised Trey to invite Charlie to, would work. Maybe she’ll get off Cassie’s back.

Consumed by all these thoughts, Cassie bumped into a stranger, carrying an array of office supplies in his arms. So much so, that everything splattered to the ground before them. Cassie went to the floor instantly, gathering the things together. “Sorry, I wasn’t paying attention.” Cassie said, feeling guilty.

“No, it’s okay. I was carrying too much at a time, it’s my fault.” The stranger said.

Cassie went to pick of the last box of pens as the stranger went for it too. Their finger tips touched for a moment. Cassie pulled back, laughing nervously as she lifted her eyes up. She found two familiar brown eyes staring at her, a smile to match. It was Roshon.

“Roshon?” She asked, getting back on her feet. She carried some of his things in her arms. “What are you doing here? I mean, you’re back from Louisiana already?” She asked, as he stood up too. “Yeah, I had to go, work called. I left Shai in Louisiana with Ray…” He chuckled a bit. “Oh you know, getting office supplies. Charlie has been snappy lately.” He rolled his eyes. Cassie smiled, happy she wasn’t the only one who noticed.

“Tell me about it”, she said, pulling out cs5, “with all these edits she wants me to make, I had to buy better software!” They both laughed. “Here..” She said, piling his things back into his arms. They both ended up walking to the check-out line together, purchasing their things together. Cassie found herself blushing often at this handsom man. Although she had known him from only two occurances— The Groove and Craig’s Party— there was just something about him.

“It was nice seeing you here…really nice.” Roshon said as they walked outside, into the chilly air. His nose turned pink in the cold, it was cute. “Thanks to Charlie..” Cassie chuckled. She felt nervous, this wasn’t any kind of nervous though. Was it…butterflies?