Chapter 9: Hate To Say I Told You So

“Okay, so as your assistant, I have an idea..” Charlie caught my attention. I was thinking, daydreaming— you know, it’s what I do. I’ve been in and out of fantasy land all morning here with her.

Charlie and I are in my office at The Crown. That’s right, my office. It’s almost like having a day job— I meet up here with Charlie, team meetings, I even come here to write…I have iMac here, can you believe that?!

I spend a lot of hours here, it’s better than being at the condo. Being there— being around Ray— brings me heart ache, sorry if I sound weak, but it’s true. Him being so cold to me, because of Eva…it hurts. Especially with the fact that I know he’s not like that, that he’s a playful, adorable, a goofball— that’s the Ray I met, the Ray I like.

“HEY! Shai!” I blinked back into reality as Charlie snapped her fingers in my face. I squinted my eyes in confusion. “..Um…What?” She rolled her eyes.

I changed the subject quickly; I’m tired of being all cooperate. Break time.

“You ruined me and Samara’s plan you know. You and Trey were supposed be a couple again by now.” I wagged my finger at her.

“Shut up, you know damn well I didn’t appreciate that stunt ya’ll pulled!” I made a fake shocked face. “Oh, but you did!” I mocked her voice. “I—I missed you Trey.” I held my hands over my heart, looking off into nothing.

She swatted my arm. “I didn’t not look OR sound like that! Quit playin’!” She laughed some. But then she got serious. “It doesn’t matter, we’re not together. We won’t be for a while so face it, your plan failed..” She sighed, stacking and re-stacking her papers.

“But why!” I whined. She looked at sternly. “Reasons! Now Shai seriously, we have to get back on track.” I crossed my arms, sitting back in my seat. “Fine.”

“As I was saying, you’ll be needing a new cover for your deluxe version.” She finished her earlier sentence.

My book has been doing so well that my team has decided to publish a deluxe version with authors notes and me answering some FAQ’s. That’s where I plan to let all my readers know this story is based on my life.

“Cassie? Can you come in here please?” Charlie called back, looking towards the door. I turned my attention to see a girl as she cheerfully walked towards us. She paused where Charlie was sitting. “Shai, this is Cassie Taylor, she’ll be doing the cover design.”

I smiled at her. “Hey, I’m Shai, pleased to meet you.” She smiled back, showing her dimples. She’s a lovely girl.

She had jet black hair to her back and piercing light brown eyes. Together with naturally tanned skin, I felt jealousy creep up on me. But the good kind, the admiration kind; she’s pretty. She had on grey-ish long sleeved burn out shirt and black fitted skinnies.

“I just want to say, when I first read your book, I was instantly in love. It was deep…almost like it actually happened…..” Cassie’s voice trailed off, her eyes looking right into mine. They looked suggestive, like she knew it was a real story. Not many people catch on to that; I like her already.

“Cassie is phenomenal, you’ll love her.” Charlie added, gathering her paper work. I guess she was leaving us alone to work.

She walked to the door, pausing before she exited. “Oh and Shai, we’ve decided to put you on a book tour, give you a bit more exposure.”

I stared at her, feeling my jaw literally drop.

“A…WHAT?!” I shouted at her. “Catch you all later!” Charlie smiled at me devilishly, as she left out the door. I swear she loves to do that.