Chapter 6: Celebrate

It’s about 10 in the morning, a Thursday morning. December to be exact. It’s been exactly one month since that mini argument Ray and I had. We’ve barley said a word to each other since. Which is fine with me, I don’t care. Let him get trapped, I sure as hell won’t be babysitting. Who am I kidding? I know you aren’t falling for it. I care, I care, I care! I wish he’d see Eva like we all do.

Today’s also my meeting with Charlie’s superior, Mr. Breaux. I am beyond nervous. What if he doesn’t like it? This is so surreal.

“Shai, breath.” Charlie reminded me. I smiled, taking a deep breath. I wrapped my scarf around my neck, the December breeze was biting. Our heels clicked on the silent sidewalk as was approached Charlie’s workplace, The Crown. “Just be yourself, I told you already, he likes your story.” Charlie looked at me reassuringly.

I hope so.

*

“Ms. Asher, I believe your story would sell! Perhaps even become a series.”

Charlie beamed at me as Mr. Breaux commented on my story, “I Thought I Knew You”. He sat across from Charlie and I on a long cherry wood meeting table, holding a manuscript. Nerves took a hold of me once more as I look around his office. The walls were a professional, cooperate blue. We were on the 13th floor; his office had a spectacular view. His voice stopped my wandering mind.

“Your novella is riveting, tastefully romantic, and most importantly, realistic. Women of all ages, I believe, will relate with your protagonist, Isis, and their blood will curdle at the tactics of her bogus boyfriend, Quincy.” He smiled greatly. “Your writing style is brilliant!”

Maybe it isn’t such a bad thing that I went through what I did with my ex. This “brilliant” story is based on us. Our relationship, all the good and all the faults were my inspiration.

“I told you Mr. Breaux, my girl is the real deal.” Charlie said as she put her arm around my shoulders. “You know I wouldn’t waste your time if I didn’t think it was good!”

Breaux chuckled. “That’s right Charlotte, I can always depend on you.” Charlie stuck her head high, like her cocky self would. “If Ms. Asher accepts our offer, you’ll be her personal editor/assistant writer.” He stood up, walking towards us at the other side of the table.

“Well Ms. Asher, the decision is yours. We here at the Crown are ready to have you and your novella on board, what do you say?” He sat, perched on the edge of the table casually, extending his tanned hand to me.

This is a once in a life time chance! I can’t believe this is actually happening, things like these only happen in my freaking dreams!!!!!

I stood up, enveloping my hand in his. “I’d be honored to have you publish my story.”

*

“THEY WANT TO PUBLISH YOU?!?!?!?! OH MY GOODNESS SHAIIIIIIIIII!!!” No other but Samara pounced up and down in Charlie’s living room. Charlie had insisted I share my story with everyone a while back. We invited all the girls over to share the news, they were just as happy as me. Well in Samara’s case, happier.

“Girl!!! I’m so happy for you!” Lillie pulled me into a tight embrace. I blushed in the midst of all the attention. “Thanks you guys.”

Suddenly, Samara gasped loudly. “We. Should. CELEBRATE!” She said, short and quick. “All of us, I can host a little get together at my place!! It’ll be perfect! Hold up, let me call Jacob…” Samara walked into the kitchen, whipping out her phone.

“A party? You guys are going too far!” I looked at Samara. “Yes, babe, a party! Mhm, Shai’s story is gonna get published. Yes, yes…” She twirled her hair around her finger as she explained to Jacob on the phone.