Chapter 5: I'm Just Trying To Help YOU Out

“I don’t love you anymore..never did actually. I was just using you for s3x. Quincy said lowly.” ….

I sighed deeply, tweaking my story a bit. I have to make the draft perfect, it’s going to be read by Charlie’s superior. But this story is heavily based on my ex and I. It hurts re-living these feelings. Out of the blue, the hallway phone rang.

“Hello?” I said, out of breath. “You really need a cell phone.” Charlie sounded annoyed through the phone. “Yea, yea, what’s up?” I asked her. “Get ready, we’re all going out.” It was about 2 o’clock. “All of us?” I asked, dumbfounded. “Lillie, Samara, you & I, stupid! Be ready in like 30 minutes, okay? “Alright.”

*

“Headed….out?” Ray’s voice trailed down to a mumble as he peeked his head through my bedroom door. He was staring hard, didn’t look like he was trying to hide the fact neither. I smiled, spraying a bit of Chanel no. 5 on my neck. “Yeah, me and the girls are just gonna hang around the city.”

I smoothed my knit top, walking out past him. “Have fun.” He said as I skipped down the stairs. “I will.” I said, locking the door behind me. You don’t know how happy it makes me to have that effect on him. Eva can’t touch this even if she tried!

*

“Jacob is such a sweetheart, I was so ecstatic when he finally proposed.” Samara gushed happily. We were at Sky’s, having a little lunch. “Craig and I aren’t on that level yet, we’re still having a little fun.” Lillie said, smirking. “Fun? Girl, we’re talking about chill-as-hell Craig here.” Charlie snorted. “I expected you two to jump the broom first.”

“Jump the broom? I didn’t know we were in the slave days, massa!” I exclaimed. “No one asked you though.” Charlie said cooly. “Ah! I love you guys already! I can see us being close forever!!” Samara burst out. We all stared at her happy a$$. The serious moment broke into that of glee as we all burst out laughing.

She’s right, it feels like we’ve been the best of friends when we’ve only known each other a couple of weeks.

*

“Hey.” Lillie lightly nudged me as we walked around the mall aimlessly. Charlie had this whole day planned apparently, I was just going along with it. Lillie’s greeting sort of shocked me. She’s the quietest of us all, sort of like Craig. Maybe that’s why they’re together. I smiled at her. “Charlie is nuts, what are we doing here anyways?” I asked. “You know Charlie, everything makes sense in her brain.”

We kept walking, a thoughtful silence happening between us. “You like Ray, don’t you?” She asked finally. I ran my hand through my hair, nervously looking around. “Uh, well—” She cut me off. “Don’t be embarrassed, I saw how you were looking at him last Friday. It was sort of cute.” She laughed. I felt childish; am I that obvious?

“I don’t like Eva.” She commented. That makes two of us. “You and him would be make a better couple, I can tell. You’re just about perfect for his silly self.” I blushed like crazy, you don’t know how happy this is making me! Everyone is telling me what I want to hear…[insert teen girl freak-out!]

*

Today was real fun with the girls. We had lunch, Charlie dragged us through the whole mall…I can definitely see these girls being in my life. But all fun set a side, I have some news to break. I have to let Ray know about his little “sweetie”. I hope this goes well, I really do.

Getting home, finally, I looked at our parking space; Eva’s vehicle isn’t here, thank God. I unlocked the door, the house was cool and dark. Reminds me of the my first night here. I placed my keys in the key dish making my way to the back studio place, I had hunch he’d be there.

*

“Sounds good.” I said, this time comfortable enough to walk in. This tune was sounded real passionate, he was getting into. I wonder if it’s for Eva; poo. His eyes fluttered open, a smile spreading across his face. “Hey you.” He said, stopping. Goodness, why is he so beautiful?

Okay, Shai, get yourself together. You have a mission at hand.

“Ray if I told you something a little suggestive, would you get mad?” I asked him cautiously, I was testing the waters. “No, I’m all ears, come sit.” He patted a space on the piano stool. I sat next to him.

…..He’s so stunning up close and personal, but back to work.

“It’s about Eva.” I paused. He looked pretty normal. “She has a rep, you know.”

Now we’re getting a reaction. His face got stern, but he didn’t say anything. “She likes money, rumor has it, and there’s another rumor floating around.”

Okay, he’s looking peeved now.

“Well?” He said impatiently. “She’s trying to trap you, by having your child.”

I’ve said that Ray is expressive before, that goes for any emotion. His face was filled with rage. “Why would you tell such an ugly lie Shai?” “I’m not lyin—” He cut me off.

“No, no, don’t explain yourself. That was a dirty a$$ lie, and you know it.” His voice was escalating now.

“Everyone is always sh*t talking about Eva; what don’t you all get?! SHE’S CHANGED. She’s not the same, she loves me!”

That was my last straw.

“You think she loves you? BLASPHEMY. She just wants to keep you grounded, so you’ll never leave her. How will she accomplish that? BY HAVING YOUR BABY!” I spat like rapid fire. I poked his chest on the word ‘your’.

He stood up suddenly, I flinched. “Jealousy isn’t cute Shai, leave our damn relationship alone, butt OUT.”

He left the studio room. I followed quickly after him.

“I’m just trying to help YOU out!” I yelled.

“NO ONE ASKED FOR YOUR HELP THOUGH” And with that, he was gone. The front door slammed. His car engine roared alive outside, the sound fading as he drove farther and farther away.