Chapter 3: Who Is She?

“You really think so Charlotte?” I beamed as she finished reading the draft to one of my latest stories. “I know so Shai! & didn’t I tell you to call me Charlie? Charlotte makes me sound old!”

Charlotte was a neighbor of Ray’s. Since I stay at home all day, I’ve made some new friends over the past month. Charlotte is the best. She’s sweet, caring, and trustworthy. She understands me so well, I’ve never clicked with someone so quickly. She’s beautiful too. Lovely dark cat eyes, thickly coiled black hair, smooth brown skin..I’m not going to lie; I’m envious. She’s been helping me lately with my stories. Ideas, proof reading..she’s a huge help! She’s become my best friend..

“I’m going to have my boss read it, whether you like it or not!” She smiled devilishly.

She works at The Crown, a book publisher. She can easily get her superior to read manuscripts and drafts.

My face scrunched up. “No! I told you, I don’t think it’s good enough! Besides—” I quieted, my own doubt choking my words.

She plopped on my bed, looking at me disapprovingly. “Shai, what did I tell you! Stop, I repeat, stop doubting yourself. I’ve told you time and time again; you are a phenomenal writer!” I looked down shyly, pushing my glasses up like always. She continued.

“You see that romance there?” Charlie pointed at my mac book. “GOLD. & I mean it.” She got up and walked towards me, kneeling in front of me. She took my hands into hers. “Be confident girlie, I believe in you and that story.” She winked at me. I gave up my doubt and hugged her tight.

“You always know how to give a good pep talk.” I said jokingly. I stood up, stretching. The threading in my faded grey hoodie screeched from age. My worn sweats weren’t so appealing either. Charlie gave me a look.Here we go.

“You need a trip to the mall.” She complained, standing up and walking towards my mirror vanity. Her red heels clicked lightly. She pause in front of the mirror, applying more red lipstick. Then she straightened her white sheer layered top and brushed off her black skinnies. It was like she was trying to make me jealous.

“Charlie, I live off short stories. I don’t go around splurging cash like you can.” I sat back down, looking at her. “Hence the reason why I’m you’re best friend.” She said, happily clapping her hands. I started to protest, she halted me. “No, don’t give me no bullsh*t excuse! I can spend money on you if I want, you’re my bestie.” I hunched my shoulders in defeat.

“So you expect me to dress like that? I pointed at her outfit. I was only teasing, she had a zesty taste, very unique.

“Psssh, are you trying to insult me? You know you love my taste! Now get your bummy self up, we have some money$$$ to spend!”

*

“Turn around……YES! This is perfect! We’re absolutely getting that one!” She placed her hands on my shoulders, looking at my reflection in the mirror. I tugged at the dress, trying to pull it down some. “Isn’t it too short..and tight?” I asked meekly.

“NO! It’s perfect. Look at that, who would’ve known you had curves, wearing those baggy sweaters all the time!” She slapped my butt. “Look at that a$$, Shai, you gotta show off what your momma gave ya’!” She laughed. I grabbed my butt, looking at her. “Stop that! Fine, I’ll get it.”

I smiled, turning around and looking over my shoulder. I had to admit, I did look good. “See, you know you love it. Go, go, change, we have more to try on!” Charlie shooed me off, I looked at the piled of clothes still left to try on. Shopping is so tiring!