CHAPTER TWENTY THREE : THE CLIMAX ( II )

We continued to drive for another few minutes before Nick decided to stop and get gas. He told me I should probably get out and stretch before we start driving more. I took his advice, my legs were falling asleep anyways. I jumped out as Nick filled up the tank.

" I'm gonna go get something in the store " I called out. Nick gave me a thumbs up before I walked inside and gave a small smile at the girl behind the register. I walked over to the candy aisle and looked at all the candy. I decided on a huge snicker bar, paid for it and walked outside. Nick was already in the car, playing on his phone as he waited for me.

I was about to walk over there before a noise caught my attention. It sounded like a whimper at the side of the store. I walked to the side and just like I thought it was, it was a dog. A very familiar one with a black streak going down between her eyes and down half her back.

" Athena? " I ran to her and as she heard my voice, her tail wagged weakly. There was gashes on her stomach. Another dog or even a wolf must've attacked her, " oh my God. Athena, are you okay? " I got down to my knees as I lifted her head onto my lap, stroking her head. I couldn't help but cover my mouth as I started to cry. She wasn't gonna make it. A lot of blood was coming out her stomach already. Too much for me to handle. I looked away, sobbing into my hand. Where has she been all this time? I thought she was with Gavin's orphanage home, " you'll be okay, Athena " I whispered. She licked my hand and nestled her nose into my hand.

She barked softly as I stroked her ears. Her chest rose up and down rapidly as I felt her breathing pace down. Nick must've sawn I was over here because I heard his footsteps behind me, " Scarlett? What the heck are you doing? " He came up beside me and saw Athena in my lap. He didn't say anything else as he gasped and knelt down, " oh my God. Hold on, I'm gonna call someone "

He pulled out his phone and started talking to someone about Athena as I scratched her nose. Her chest was barely rising as her whimpering got louder. Everything was quiet. Her whimpering stopped and her chest was no longer moving. My lips quivered as I lay my head on her sweaty head. Nick continued to tell the phone that Athena was gone but they insisted they were gonna come to where we were anyways and give her a proper goodbye.

Once they came and picked up Athena, me and Nick had to be on our way. I didn't even want my Snickers any more. As we got into the car, Nick looked over at me.

" Did you know that dog? "

" Yeah. Her name was Athena. She belonged to a friend of mine " I wiped my eyes and looked out the window, " if you don't mind, I don't really want to talk right now " I closed my eyes as I lay my head on the arm rest.

" Oh. No, that's okay " he stuttered. I didn't say anything as the rest of the time was pretty much quiet. It was around 8:20 so we'd have to pick up Savannah and them in a little bit. I wondered how long she was there. I felt tears stroke down my face as my back jerked up and down as I sobbed. I leaned on Nick's arm as he wrapped it around me. He rubbed my back as he kept one hand on the wheel. I didn't want any of this to happen. If only I didn't get out I wouldn't have had to see that. But I'm glad I did anyways. I was able to be with her and she had someone to hold her as she went away, Nick hurriedly got his arm off of me, " WOAH! " The car bumbed harshly as I sat up, Nick swerved around until the car flipped over, throwing us around in our seats. Glass flew everywhere and I covered my face, feeling it peirce through my arms and body. The car stopped upside - down as one of the wheels popped off.

My heart palpitated. What just happened? My body was sore, feeling like a boulder just dropped on me. I groaned and looked over to see Nick unbuckle his seat belt and drop to the ground with a groan. I did the same as my head hit the ground. We crawled out, careful not to be stabbed by more glass. Cars all stopped in the middle of the road as people ran out. The car was wrecked. Nick crawled over to me and helped me up.

" What is wrong with you, Nick?! What was all that for? "

" Someone ran into the middle of the street! I wasn't gonna just run them over! "

" You could've at least slammed on the breaks! " I pulled a small piece of glass out my arm, wincing as I did so. I stared at Nick with a disapproving glare as people ran to us.

" Oh my God! Are you okay!? " People comforted us and I looked around to see the guy we almost ran over being comforted by people. I couldn't really see his face but I could tell he was petrified. Two shadows rose from the ground, scaring them off as I ordered them to help me. They helped take the glass out me and Nick although we should've let the doctors do it. Sirens sounded in the distance and we couldn't stay here for long. The cops hated my guts and they'd sure wouldn't hesitate to show my father I'm out in the open.

" We should probably go see if he's okay " I said, urging to the boy we almost ran over. Nicks face twisted.

" What? No, he should be the one coming to see if we are okay! He's the one that ran out into the street! Look at my car! How am I gonna pick up Savannah and them? "

" Im sure Savanna's cousin has a car. He can drop them off. Come on " we walked over to the guy and he turned. I stopped as I took in who he was. He stopped as well, his eyes widening bigger than mine.

He was the one we almost ran over?