CHAPTER ELEVEN : FINALLY FALLING

" Jason! " I chased after him. He was unconscious as my father ran with him, Adam throwing lightning at me to slow me down but I didn't. I couldn't let this happen. I couldnt let them get away with this! Why did I let this happen? My father dropped Jason like he was nothing and they both stopped.

" Take another step and he's dead " my father growled. I skidded to a stop, paying attention to everything he was saying.

" Dad. Don't do this " I begged. My father kept his gun pointed at Jason.

" You are too weak, Scarlett. Just like your mother " he pulled the trigger.

-------------------------------------

I woke up, sweat dripping off my eyelashes. It was just a dream. My chest rose up and down rapidly, my heart pounding. I got up, walking out my room before going out onto the balcony. Anaya was there, drinking coffee. She turned once she heard my footsteps and smiled.

" Couldn't sleep? "

No, duh I wanted to say, but I guess the girl gets picked on too much anyways. I've never heard of anyone that didn't have any powers. If Jason wasn't so understanding and I an outsider myself, this girl would be considered a disgrace to the economy. I wonder if that's why she lives by herself. I took my side beside her as we looked over to the sun rising. It was more than halfway showing but the sunrise was still beautiful. We stayed like that for a while before my legs turned to jelly and I could barely lift my eyelids anymore. I told her I'm gonna go sleep and I fulfilled my promise. I fell asleep like a baby on my bed, slipping out of reality and into my dreams.

-

" Wakey wakey! " Anayas voice echoed in my head. I groaned and rolled around in my bed, unwilling to get up, " there are pancakes " she added. I stood up almost banging my head against hers. She backed up with a smile as I jumped out my bed and brushed my teeth and hair before going downstairs. Jason was already at the table with everything set up. Syrup and pancakes filled my nose and I sighed satisfyingly. Jason chuckled softly at my reaction as I sat beside him. Anaya jumped in her chair and we all started with the pouring of syrup. I watched the thick gooey liquid sink out the bottle and slowly onto my pancake. I haven't had such a nice breakfast in such a long time.

After we ate breakfast, Anaya urged me and Jason to go and take a walk. Get some fresh air. We took her suggestion and both walked around her neighborhood to get familiar with it. I wonder why Anaya didn't come. Was she an outcast? Maybe she didn't like showing her face outside? Maybe tonight we can have a little talk about everything to clear my mind.

I looked over to see Jason with earbuds in his ear. I could hear the music even with them in his ears. He was listening to a Melanie Martinez playlist. I would've figured him the kind of guy to listen to Metallica or AC/DC. The lyrics to Mad Hatter traveled through my ears.

I started to sing to the lyrics. Jason suddenly turned it off, " sorry " he said, a shy smile split across his face, " that's embarrassing " he added after I looked at him. I giggled.

" No. Put it back on " I grabbed his phone and played it again as I took a bud from his ear, wiped it off and put it in my ear. I looked up at him with a smile before we both started to softly sing to it.

" Looks like we have another thing in common " Jason said as the song ended. I smiled and he smiled back. We both looked forward as Alphabet Boy started to play. We continued to walk for a while before we got to the park and we decided to sit on a bench.

We sat on the closest one and watched as kids tried to get their dogs to chase them around and a few kids were on the swings. A group of high schoolers walked around before they settled at a bench and laughed at each other and their phones.

" Have you ever wondered what it's like to be a real high schooler? " Jason asked as he watched them.

" You're not in high school? " I looked up at him and he laughed, amused at my obliviousness.

" You think I ditched a month of school and decided to live in a restaurant with you? "

" Maybe " I shrugged. He laughed, titling his head back. I rolled my eyes and slapped his arm playfully. He doubled over in laughter, clutching his stomach.

" But yeah " he said, wiping his laughing tears away, " I was homeschooled. Answer my question. Do you? " He looked at me sincerely, waiting for me to answer.

" No.  They're the popular, the 'geeks', the nerds, the jocks. They lable people like we're food. We're regular humans, not things to eat. And then there are bullies " I rubbed my arms like I was remembering my memories. But I wasn't remembering the memories. I already knew them. I didn't need to think twice to remember the bad memories.

He looked down, not knowing what to say as he saw my movement. He knew how I felt. He knew exactly what I was feeling right now. We sat in a comfortable silence, not daring to look at each other. I sighed. I really liked talking to him. Why couldn't he be so easy to talk to like Gavin? Suddenly, his finger brushed against my hand. He slowly entwined his fingers in mine before he had a firm grip on my hand. My heart skipped a beat as he held on like he would never let go. He put an arm around me and pulled me closer to him as he hugged me, keeping our entwined hand in between us as he did. I closed my eyes, smelling the fresh scent of apple wood cologne on his shirt.

" Scarlett? " He whispered. I kept a hold in him, not wanting to let go myself.

" Hmm? " I asked softly. He waited a few seconds before saying the words I've been waiting to hear for a while now.

" I think I'm falling for you "